Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mobo upgrade help

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 10, 2012 2:55:29 PM

Before we begin, This page has all my build information.

I'm thinking of upgrading to what Striker suggested.
Quote:
CPU: i3-2100 Dual Core (With Hyper Threading) $125 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Motherboard: Asrock Z68M Micro ATX Mobo $85+7 shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: Patriot 1600MHz 2x4GB $41 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


My current CPU is a single core AMD 64 so I obviously need an upgrade.

So I'm going to need help once I upgrade my mobo because of the operating systems I have. Currently I have a Windows XP/Windows 7 dual-boot. Both on a 250GB HD with 125 GB split each.

I would like to upgrade without re-installing my OS. What's the best way to do this? I realize a lot of people are against not re-installing OS's but I don't have an external harddrive for my files; however, I would be willing to re-install 1 of the OS's since I can send files throughout the partitions.

If I can remember correctly Windows XP is simple when it comes to motherboard changes but Windows 7 isn't. Any advice?

More about : mobo upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 4:17:19 PM

Add a hard drive to your build upgrade. Install Windows XP/7 onto the new drive and then transfer over all your files.

You'll be lucky if your system boots at all using your old hard drive without a re-install. The hard drive is looking for your old motherboard and probably won't recognize the new one and fail to POST.

-Wolf sends
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 4:47:02 PM

Quote:
So I'm going to need help once I upgrade my mobo because of the operating systems I have. Currently I have a Windows XP/Windows 7 dual-boot. Both on a 250GB HD with 125 GB split each.


First off I wouldn't recommend the choices listed. Micro ATX is not a good solution for a full ATX desktop system as the limited expansion options will be incredibly frustrating in the long run. Go with something like the Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 - it's only $40 more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And the Patriot isn't necessarily the best RAM manufacturer but I won't say they're the worst. This would be better RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
I would like to upgrade without re-installing my OS. What's the best way to do this? I realize a lot of people are against not re-installing OS's but I don't have an external harddrive for my files; however, I would be willing to re-install 1 of the OS's since I can send files throughout the partitions.


It's actually not possible because you will get tons of driver and registry errors in doing so. It's not due to the fact that you're running a dual-boot system, it's due to the fact that the Windows drivers and even registry will still be trying to recognize your old motherboard.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2012 5:21:00 PM

Dell's "proprietary" thing, or whatever it's called, prevents me from using a regular ATX mobo. I'll have to go with the micro. Unless I'm mistaken a regular will not fit into my C521's case and I really don't want to spend the money on a new tower.

I'm thinking I'll just put all my files on my laptop and a couple flash-drives. Then I can do a clean install (I forgot about the old laptop).
m
0
l
a c 92 B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 6:35:29 PM

iNorman said:
Dell's "proprietary" thing, or whatever it's called, prevents me from using a regular ATX mobo. I'll have to go with the micro. Unless I'm mistaken a regular will not fit into my C521's case and I really don't want to spend the money on a new tower.

I'm thinking I'll just put all my files on my laptop and a couple flash-drives. Then I can do a clean install (I forgot about the old laptop).


I didn't see that it was a proprietary case you were using, my bad. :lol: 

But that motherboard should be fine. Maybe check this one out - it is a bit more but it will give you better expansion options: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!