Solved

BEFORE I CLICK "BUY" | I need advice!

CPU - Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz Quad-Core $319.99
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $36.99
Motherboard - Asus P8H67-V (REV 3.0) ATX LGA1155 $109.99
Memory - X2 Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 $32.55
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $99.99
Video Card - XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB $139.99
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower $59.98
Power Supply - Antec 550W ATX12V $68.99
Optical Drive - Samsung TS-H353C DVD/CD Drive $16.99
Keyboard - Logitech MK120 w/Optical Mouse $21.99

Total AFTER SHIPPING/TAX : $1,160.00

"YOU DON'T NEED AN I7!"

Yeah, well I won't be gaming too much and would like the hyper threading for rendering/audio production.

"16GB RAM IS TOO MUCH, NOT NEEDED!"

It's 70% off so I thought it would be a good idea to just get 2 (future proof?).

I would like some insight on my MOBO, GPU, etc.

Compatability?

Thanks a lot! I hope I get some responses!

EDIT: This is the end of my budget, so I don't have anymore money!
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about before click advice
  1. Quote:


    "YOU DON'T NEED AN I7!"

    Yeah, well I won't be gaming too much and would like the hyper threading for rendering/audio production.


    Ah, I see someone has been doing their homework. :lol:

    If you're set on getting the i7, don't get the 2700K - it's a bit overkill. Instead drop that to the 2600K and invest the difference ($80 I believe) in getting a better motherboard - H67 won't do much for audio production and rendering as it's about as basic of a board as you can get - it won't support overclocking and it also won't support 16GB of RAM (8 max) and the limited expansion options will be incredibly frustrating in the long run. You want a full ATX board. Try something like this:

    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

    Alternately if this is going to be a production only workstation try this setup:

    - Asus P8B: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131725
    - Intel Xeon E3-1230: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115083

    I'd also up the PSU - 550W is fine but it's a bit underpowered. Maybe go with a 600 or 750 if you plan to overclock. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    Quote:
    "16GB RAM IS TOO MUCH, NOT NEEDED!"

    It's 70% off so I thought it would be a good idea to just get 2 (future proof?).


    16GB is fine if you're going to be working with large files. You may use all of it but you most likely won't.
  2. g-unit1111 said:
    Quote:


    "YOU DON'T NEED AN I7!"

    Yeah, well I won't be gaming too much and would like the hyper threading for rendering/audio production.


    Ah, I see someone has been doing their homework. :lol:

    If you're set on getting the i7, don't get the 2700K - it's a bit overkill. Instead drop that to the 2600K and invest the difference ($80 I believe) in getting a better motherboard - H67 won't do much for audio production and rendering as it's about as basic of a board as you can get - it won't support overclocking and it also won't support 16GB of RAM (8 max) and the limited expansion options will be incredibly frustrating in the long run. You want a full ATX board. Try something like this:

    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128498
    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

    I'd also up the PSU - 550W is fine but it's a bit underpowered. Maybe go with a 600 or 750 if you plan to overclock. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    Quote:
    "16GB RAM IS TOO MUCH, NOT NEEDED!"

    It's 70% off so I thought it would be a good idea to just get 2 (future proof?).


    16GB is fine if you're going to be working with large files. You may use all of it but you most likely won't.


    First of all, thanks a lot for replying.

    In Canada the i7 2700k is only a $15 difference compared to the 2600k (i thought it was $50 too, but it's not)

    The mobo says 32gb supported:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131783&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131783&AID=10592396&PID=3938566

    Is this valid?

    EDIT: If there really is not OC, than I will drop down to 8gb ram and buy one of the mobo's you listed there.
  3. Best answer
    Buy 2600k is the same like 2700k.
    You need 16GB RAM for your work.
    Buy an cheap Z68 motherboard. You can raise the frequency of your CPU when you need.
    ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279 105$
    BIOSTAR TZ68A+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138319 110$
    PSU : Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031 70$
    SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096 70$
    If from where you buy 2700k , 2600k is cheaper buy it they are almost the same CPU's.
    It's a good build.
  4. drewc said:
    First of all, thanks a lot for replying.

    In Canada the i7 2700k is only a $15 difference compared to the 2600k (i thought it was $50 too, but it's not)

    The mobo says 32gb supported:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131783&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131783&AID=10592396&PID=3938566

    Is this valid?


    Oh OK that will work, here it's a huge difference between the 2600K and the 2700K ($314 and $380, respectively).

    You should still look at the Xeon setup I recommended - that might be more suited for what you need. I was thinking most H67 boards are micro ATX or mini-ITX and that wouldn't be suited for what you'd need. On a workstation you want the most expansion options you can get.

    Quote:

    ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157279 105$
    BIOSTAR TZ68A+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813138319 110$


    The Asrock would be a far better choice - Biostar is a terrible brand, I've used their boards before and had nothing but problems.
  5. Definitely go with a Z68 motherboard over the P67 if you take that route..
  6. sosofm said:
    Buy 2600k is the same like 2700k.
    You need 16GB RAM for your work.
    Buy an cheap Z68 motherboard. You can raise the frequency of your CPU when you need.
    ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279 105$
    BIOSTAR TZ68A+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138319 110$
    PSU : Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031 70$
    SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096 70$
    If from where you buy 2700k , 2600k is cheaper buy it they are almost the same CPU's.
    It's a good build.

    Z68 Pro3 gen3 is $30 more in Canada >.<!!!! 8gb ram it is?
  7. Before I downgrade to 8gb ram to affoard the z68... I could buy http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502 (it's a z68, gigabyte) and keep the 16gb ram. Is it better than the h67?
  8. sosofm said:
    Buy 2600k is the same like 2700k.
    You need 16GB RAM for your work.
    Buy an cheap Z68 motherboard. You can raise the frequency of your CPU when you need.
    ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279 105$
    BIOSTAR TZ68A+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138319 110$
    PSU : Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031 70$
    SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096 70$
    If from where you buy 2700k , 2600k is cheaper buy it they are almost the same CPU's.
    It's a good build.


    I second this also. Go for the pro3gen3 . It's an awesome z68 board and supports alot. Top of that its clean looking too.

    difference between the 2600k and 2700k isn't much . 2700k basically just comes factory clocked very little. WOnt make a difference plus ide suggest an overlock to at least 4-4.2. If the price is that small and your budget is open for it go ahead with the 2700k.

    Also the Seasonic 620 Bronze is perfect for your build and in a way future proofed plus its modular for clean cable management.
  9. Yes GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 its good and support future Crossfire or SLI.
  10. drewc said:
    Z68 Pro3 gen3 is $30 more in Canada >.<!!!! 8gb ram it is?


    Keep the 16 Gb and drop to a 2600K

    Those two are the same chip and can be overclocked to the same speed. If you are not going to overclock... just get the 2600 and save more $...

    The 2700K is basically a marketing gimic to get more of your money.

    A 2700K Oced to 4.0 Ghz is the same as a 2600K Oced to 4.0 Ghz
  11. 10 Stars for changing the MB to a Z68.

    Z68
    .. Much improved video rendering as it can use both the dGPU and the iGPU (not available for the H67).
    Check out quick sync and Lucid's Virtu software.
    .. Yes also has SRT, but I recommend a SSD large enough for OS + programs.
    .. OC, although not interested in, a mild OC is so easy a caveman can do it. Most MBs come with a utility that is good for a mild OC. It would really be a shame to get a GREAT CPU and then tie a 1 ton weight (H67) to it. Not a fan of High OC myself, but My I5 runs great @ 4.2 / 4.6 by simply "pusing a Button".

    Stick with the 16 gigs of ram if possible. There is very little diff between 8 Gigs and 16 Gigs FOR GAMING, like me your not a gaming and some of the Photo/video editing can take advantage of the extra ram (highly dependent on your software. - Currently cheap, but who know in the next year or two and DDR3 becomes obsolete and hard to find.. Can go with the 8 gigs and near term up buy the additional 8 gigs.
  12. pacioli said:
    Keep the 16 Gb and drop to a 2600K

    Those two are the same chip and can be overclocked to the same speed. If you are not going to overclock... just get the 2600 and save more $...

    The 2700K is basically a marketing gimic to get more of your money.

    A 2700K Oced to 4.0 Ghz is the same as a 2600K Oced to 4.0 Ghz


    That's what I was trying to say. However I still keep saying the Xeon E3 might be a better choice for a workstation than the 2600K will be.
  13. Okay, downgraded to a 2600k and changed to a ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard. Upgraded the PSU to a SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply. Are we good?
  14. Click BUY :)
    Good luck with your build.
  15. drewc said:
    Okay, downgraded to a 2600k and changed to a ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard. Upgraded the PSU to a SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply. Are we good?


    Looks good to me!
  16. Best answer selected by drewc.
  17. Thanks a ton everyone! (Rhymed like a boss)
  18. I agree with RetiredChief. Overclock that bad boy!

    It is silly easy to OC the beast to 4.0 GHz by just changing the multiplier from 37 to 40 in the UEFI Bios. This OC can be done with no issues on stock cooling too. Your temperatures will not go up by more than 2-3 cegrees C.
  19. $50 over budget, but will have to do.

    I will OC it Pacioli, don't worry haha!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product