Surge protector for GTX 580

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hello Guys,

I recently got a GTX 580 and have a Phenom II x4 clocked at 4Ghz with 10 case fans and a Corsair TX 750 V2 Power supply.

My UPS is 500VA and is not sufficient for my setup. When I am playing Crysis 2, the UPS gives me beep sounds and shuts my PC down. I know that its out of power and I cannot afford a $200 UPS for it now.

So I want to settle with a surge protector. Please let me know how many joules surge protector is required for a GTX 580 setup or is it mandatory to get a UPS for my gaming setup.

Solution

Yes it will work as a surge suppressor!

You must keep in mind that a surge is like a flood. If the flood is severe, nothing will save/protect homes, businesses in its path. 2,444 Joules is a sizable amount of protection; not like 500 Joules which may not do much.

Yes go ahead and buy this surge suppressor. Ask yourself what are your options. If you don't have other options, then this is the best course of action.
For surge protection consider 2,700 to 3,000 Joules, and above.

Since you are using a UPS, I take it that you are experiencing power problems in your area. Because of relatively clean power in the area where I live, we do not need UPS here. However, I use surge protection outlet for my computer (details in my configuration).

It is mandatory that we unplug the computer from the wall outlet during thunderstorms because a lightning strike can 'jump' across terminals even if the computer is OFF, and damage the computer.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

We do not experience any power problems here. I am using the ups because it was lying unused at my house. i looked through everywhere. the only good surge protector i could find in india is http://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=48173 :whistle: 4

http://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=481734

please let me know if this would be fine. it has 2444 joules. i couldnt find anything higher than this.

Yes, it will work and do fine!

Please remember to UNPLUG the computer from the wall power outlet during storms. No exceptions to this. India or the US makes no difference; lightning is lightning!

Unplug the computer during brownouts (low voltage) too. The same applies to refrigerators, TVs, washing machines while running, and appliances with motors.

Good luck!

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010

Are you sure that it will be enough. I have these at home which I will be connecting to the power strip:

Monitor
Tower (with phenom processor and GTX 580)
HP Deskjet printer
2.1 channel speakers

Please let me know so that i can buy this ASAP.

Yes it will work as a surge suppressor!

You must keep in mind that a surge is like a flood. If the flood is severe, nothing will save/protect homes, businesses in its path. 2,444 Joules is a sizable amount of protection; not like 500 Joules which may not do much.

Yes go ahead and buy this surge suppressor. Ask yourself what are your options. If you don't have other options, then this is the best course of action.

Solution