First computer set up, but hdmi not working. plz help!

noideawhatimdoing

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I just built a brand new computer but hit snag upon startup.

I plugged a HDMI into my HD Radeon 7970 and the other end into ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) W/Speakers .

I was unable to get any video at all. All my screen was registering was that it didn't read a vga or dvi connection.

I then plugged in a dvi connection and got video and everything ran fine.

So my question is. What are the possibilities? I tried two hdmi cords already with no success.

Here's what I think the problem is.

1. HDMI port on HD Radeon is faulty.

2. HDMI port on monitor is faulty.

3. Maybe a setting on my monitor for HDMI?

4. Maybe I have my graphics card in the wrong slot on my motherboard?

Here is my motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

I'm really not sure and I would try to plug it in to another monitor but I don't have one to test, but it is disheartening to spend 3hrs setting up a nice computer and something going wrong. Thanks for all help, its very much appreciated!

Solution
For your Asus LCD screen, did you make sure it was outputting to the HDMI when the HDMI was connected? If you leave it on DVI / VGA on your LCD screen of course it won't see the HDMI connection.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Is this a question? It looks like you already know what your next steps are. One thing I would add is checking settings for you video card. Usually HDMI is not intended to be a primary monitor connection - at least not by default.

festerovic

Distinguished
You left out the most likely culprit - the HDMI cable itself. Its a $2 part amongst the other expensive kit you have. I work with lots of HDMI tvs, these cables don't last forever and cheap ones sometimes are shite right out of the box.

dalaran

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
If it works over DVI then the card is installed fine (so #4 is not the issue)

Make sure you selected the right input on the monitor, there should be a button to switch between inputs.

If you want to check if the monitor is the issue you could plug your computer into a TV. As long that an HDMI port is available it should work even if it's not intended to be used as a computer monitor.

Since you already tested more than 1 cable it probably isn't the issue, but you could test the cable elsewhere to make sure it's OK.

*Edit : Unlikely since DVI works fine, but just to be sure, it's possible that you video signal is actually produced on the onboard graphic card. Check bios to make sure it's set to use your discrete video card.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
get a set of dvi, hdmi and maybe vga cables and try them all. Look at monitor settings because they are tricky sometimes i know my samsung monitor was default set to dvi . ALso with radeon cards they are native to dvi and once you install all drivers and do adjustments on catalyst your hdmi wont work.

andrey64

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

Every radeon card that i have encountered(5700,5870,6850,6770,6870,6970) all have worked better with the dvi port at first start up. I was saying native not because they are defaulted to it, but some cards require driver updates and untill you update your hdmi connection gives you no full screen resolution.\

Idk maybe its just the set up ive been doing butwith all these cards its been the same thing.

festerovic

Distinguished
Thx for explaining. I have a 4870, and I used the DVI to HDMI adapter then cabled to the TV. It worked and that's how I installed the OS (so before the drivers were installed). Most of the time HDMI doesnt work is because the output resolution and frame rate is not what the TV is expecting. The driver updates might make the default HDMI resolution more compatible with more monitors/TVs.

OP, have you tried connecting to the monitor without either of the other cables connected? Not sure about yours, but some have shared digital inputs, ie the DVI OR the HDMI. But not at the same time.