9600GSO vs 9500GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey community,

So I have in one of my spare rigs a Nvidia GeForce 9600GSO, and to say the least, its crap. It has no temperature sensor and 2 fan speeds, on and off. It was dirt cheap though, so no big deal. I was wondering if I could get something better out of a 9500GT on Tigerdirect for $10.

Old 9600GSO:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=747628

9500GT
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677107&CatId=3670

I'm not really looking for anything demanding here, just playing LoL and maybe Civ or something. Just really basic games. Its a spare computer build from the ground up with spare parts, and the 9600GSO was one of those spares. Anything better will be a bottleneck and I really just don't want to spend much more money. If its not much better, I can stay with the 9600GSO, I just use it passively cooled. The case I have on the computer is a Thermaltake V9, so I have really good airflow.

The motherboard will not run my spare Radeon 5770 lying around for some reason, probably a BIOS update. The motherboard comes from HP, so that's probably why.

Please don't tell me to build a new rig, as you can see I have one of those already, this other computer is just at my dad's house in my room (I only go there once every 2 weeks on the weekend). If it makes a difference, my second rig runs at 1280x1024, and the third rig runs at 1080p on a TV.

Thanks for the help,
-Gunner

P.S. The specs of the rig are in my "member configuration", third one down.

EDIT: I might even go for this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=154506&CatId=3670

But it will probably bottleneck. I may switch out the 8800GT in my second spare and put this in there, then move the 8800GT into the third one.
If it makes a difference, my second rig runs at 1280x1024, and the third rig runs at 1080p on a TV.

Solution
The 192-bit GSO is faster since it's a cut down G92/G92b chip, basically a 9800GT with a smaller memory interface and another shader group disabled. Looks like you got the other version though based on the G94 and that version is alot crappier ^_^. Even so it's better than that 9500GT because that version uses DDR2 which is a bit slower than the DDR3 model so no point there

Either leave it alone or get the GTS 250. No point in that DDR2 9500GT.

The 192-bit GSO is faster since it's a cut down G92/G92b chip, basically a 9800GT with a smaller memory interface and another shader group disabled. Looks like you got the other version though based on the G94 and that version is alot crappier ^_^. Even so it's better than that 9500GT because that version uses DDR2 which is a bit slower than the DDR3 model so no point there

Either leave it alone or get the GTS 250. No point in that DDR2 9500GT.

Solution

Thanks for the help! I decided to get the GTS250 since they ran out of the 9500GT anyway (I guess everyone had the same idea). I guess I will just retire the 9600GSO to the spare parts bin.....again......

Status
Not open for further replies.