Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim 6970 Low FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2011 3:39:31 AM

Hi I am playing skyrim with a decent amount of mods and im getting low fps in towns in general. I just bought a 6970 and im running skyrim on ultra settings. my specs are below and my main question is should I have gotten a gtx 570 instead?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83GHz
Memory: 6Gb ddr2
GPU: HIS Radeon 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

I really though that I would have absolutely no trouble doing whatever I wanted with skyrim with these specs, am I completely wrong?

running CCC 11.11

below are screenshots of my game settings.
thanks for any help in advanced.

CCC: http://i.imgur.com/MGqVj.png
Skyrim: http://i.imgur.com/SizxA.png

More about : skyrim 6970 low fps

December 12, 2011 4:00:51 AM

OC your CPU.

See the difference?

m
l
December 12, 2011 4:34:19 AM

Cpu bottleneck, oc cpu.
m
l
Related resources
December 12, 2011 9:23:21 AM

+1 OC cpu, it doesnt make much use of 4 cores so clock speed is a must. on the chart posted by rmpumper you would see in between the phenom x4 3ghz and 2.5ghz. Also, turn down shadow detail to medium, you will notice a good performance increase since shadows are done by cpu in this game.
m
l
December 12, 2011 9:59:00 AM

CPU Bottlenecks the GPU. Try OCing your CPU. Q9550 is not that great seriously.
m
l
December 12, 2011 10:11:44 AM

distance object detail will lower your fps a lot as well
m
l
December 12, 2011 12:15:07 PM

I have the very same CPU - Q9550 - And its just as good as a first gen i7 - 920 IMO. I get 60 FPS solid with a single 6870. Anything past 60FPS is just bragging and gravy

Some slowness in towns, and if you rush out a cave for a few seconds. Which isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things of a good play experience at 1080p.

Try uninstalling the video drivers, and downgrading to 11.10 - See if it makes a difference.

Update the motherboard drivers - Test.
Update the motherboard BIOS - Test.
Remove the mods - Use a fresh install of skyrim - Test.

I think its the way the engine is - It is a big world after all. OC the CPU may only give you a slight boost but i don't feel it'll improve the entire gaming experience with this game. There was a review on a dual core, vs quad cores didn't show much gain if any with this game. Although it certainly wouldn't "hurt" to get it up to 3.2 GHZ. I will only do it when i run into a game that chugs consistently.

Like cbrunnem mentioned - Lots of distance objects object detail will drag on FPS until it loads - Just reduce it to high and see what happens. It'll be a major improvement likely. Just tweak the shadow settings, etc.

Probably wont upgrade the CPU/Unit till either it dies, or i need a reason to - Say, AMD Bulldozer rev 2, or Whatever the next sandybridge is that has 6/8 cores that isn't 500+

This chart explains it all for the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc...

Still in the "third" tier for a Q9550 - So its actually quite good. I'd trust this chart.

m
l
December 12, 2011 1:12:29 PM

nao1120 said:
I have the very same CPU - Q9550 - And its just as good as a first gen i7 - 920 IMO. I get 60 FPS solid with a single 6870. Anything past 60FPS is just bragging and gravy

Some slowness in towns, and if you rush out a cave for a few seconds. Which isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things of a good play experience at 1080p.

Try uninstalling the video drivers, and downgrading to 11.10 - See if it makes a difference.

Update the motherboard drivers - Test.
Update the motherboard BIOS - Test.
Remove the mods - Use a fresh install of skyrim - Test.

I think its the way the engine is - It is a big world after all. OC the CPU may only give you a slight boost but i don't feel it'll improve the entire gaming experience with this game. There was a review on a dual core, vs quad cores didn't show much gain if any with this game. Although it certainly wouldn't "hurt" to get it up to 3.2 GHZ. I will only do it when i run into a game that chugs consistently.

Like cbrunnem mentioned - Lots of distance objects object detail will drag on FPS until it loads - Just reduce it to high and see what happens. It'll be a major improvement likely. Just tweak the shadow settings, etc.

Probably wont upgrade the CPU/Unit till either it dies, or i need a reason to - Say, AMD Bulldozer rev 2, or Whatever the next sandybridge is that has 6/8 cores that isn't 500+

This chart explains it all for the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overcloc...

Still in the "third" tier for a Q9550 - So its actually quite good. I'd trust this chart.

I want to make it clear for people looking in on this thread. a 6850 will NOT play skyrim at 1080p with every slider maxed. if it can its not at 60 fps. i have a 6950 with a 4.5 ghz 2600k and i get 60-70 fps with a bit of hesistation sometimes. thats with every slider maxed. i can see it with object detail distance down and AA at like 4 or 8.

but at 4.5 my cpu is still bottlenecking my gpu in towns. my gpu usage is around 90-93 so to have a Q9550 your losing some fps on a 6950 and probably a 6850.
m
l
December 23, 2011 7:20:09 AM

I own an overclocked edition of GTX 580 (Zotac AMP!) and i also play skyrim @1920x1080 on high settings with a decent amount of texture mods like yourself. I left the draw distances on "High Preset" and i use only FXAA (MSAA off). Other than these everything is maxed out.

My Q9550 quad core runs @ 3.35Ghz and I look at a FPS amount of 25 FPS at riften and some other cities. Other than that i can say its a solid 60 or close.

Now the thing is, when i set graphics to LOW (i mean every single thing on low)climb the Dragonreach in order to look down to the city, i get 40 FPS. In Riften, guess what? Again 30-35 FPS. ON LOW.

From this i can say its so obvious that the problem here is a mix of Bad Console Port Coding and a lack of full CPU potential usage since the game uses 2 cores only.

From this picture i'm seeing, I can say playing Oblivion won't make a difference either.
m
l
December 23, 2011 4:17:16 PM

audicted said:
I own an overclocked edition of GTX 580 (Zotac AMP!) and i also play skyrim @1920x1080 on high settings with a decent amount of texture mods like yourself. I left the draw distances on "High Preset" and i use only FXAA (MSAA off). Other than these everything is maxed out.

My Q9550 quad core runs @ 3.35Ghz and I look at a FPS amount of 25 FPS at riften and some other cities. Other than that i can say its a solid 60 or close.

Now the thing is, when i set graphics to LOW (i mean every single thing on low)climb the Dragonreach in order to look down to the city, i get 40 FPS. In Riften, guess what? Again 30-35 FPS. ON LOW.

From this i can say its so obvious that the problem here is a mix of Bad Console Port Coding and a lack of full CPU potential usage since the game uses 2 cores only.

From this picture i'm seeing, I can say playing Oblivion won't make a difference either.

idk if this is what your saying but the reason for bad fps is cause your cpu is not good enough. not cause its a bad port or something cause i dont get bad studders or something to indicate a bad port its just that it likes a high clock speed. its been shown to gain fps up to a 4.0 clock on a sandy bridge cpu and its been show to gain fps going from a i3 to an i5. your cpu isnt close to the same speed as those and thats the reason for your bad fps cause i have a 6950 and i get 55 to 120 fps everywhere.
m
l
December 24, 2011 12:56:20 PM

I meant for the usage of only 2 cores, but you are right.
m
l
!