Skyrim 6970 Low FPS

Hi I am playing skyrim with a decent amount of mods and im getting low fps in towns in general. I just bought a 6970 and im running skyrim on ultra settings. my specs are below and my main question is should I have gotten a gtx 570 instead?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @2.83GHz
Memory: 6Gb ddr2
GPU: HIS Radeon 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

I really though that I would have absolutely no trouble doing whatever I wanted with skyrim with these specs, am I completely wrong?

running CCC 11.11

below are screenshots of my game settings.
thanks for any help in advanced.

CCC: http://i.imgur.com/MGqVj.png
Skyrim: http://i.imgur.com/SizxA.png
10 answers Last reply
More about skyrim 6970
  1. OC your CPU.

See the difference?

2. Cpu bottleneck, oc cpu.
  3. +1 OC cpu, it doesnt make much use of 4 cores so clock speed is a must. on the chart posted by rmpumper you would see in between the phenom x4 3ghz and 2.5ghz. Also, turn down shadow detail to medium, you will notice a good performance increase since shadows are done by cpu in this game.
  4. CPU Bottlenecks the GPU. Try OCing your CPU. Q9550 is not that great seriously.
  5. distance object detail will lower your fps a lot as well
  6. I have the very same CPU - Q9550 - And its just as good as a first gen i7 - 920 IMO. I get 60 FPS solid with a single 6870. Anything past 60FPS is just bragging and gravy

Some slowness in towns, and if you rush out a cave for a few seconds. Which isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things of a good play experience at 1080p.

Try uninstalling the video drivers, and downgrading to 11.10 - See if it makes a difference.

Update the motherboard drivers - Test.
    Update the motherboard BIOS - Test.
    Remove the mods - Use a fresh install of skyrim - Test.

I think its the way the engine is - It is a big world after all. OC the CPU may only give you a slight boost but i don't feel it'll improve the entire gaming experience with this game. There was a review on a dual core, vs quad cores didn't show much gain if any with this game. Although it certainly wouldn't "hurt" to get it up to 3.2 GHZ. I will only do it when i run into a game that chugs consistently.

Like cbrunnem mentioned - Lots of distance objects object detail will drag on FPS until it loads - Just reduce it to high and see what happens. It'll be a major improvement likely. Just tweak the shadow settings, etc.

Probably wont upgrade the CPU/Unit till either it dies, or i need a reason to - Say, AMD Bulldozer rev 2, or Whatever the next sandybridge is that has 6/8 cores that isn't 500+

This chart explains it all for the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3077-5.html

Still in the "third" tier for a Q9550 - So its actually quite good. I'd trust this chart.
  7. nao1120 said:
    I have the very same CPU - Q9550 - And its just as good as a first gen i7 - 920 IMO. I get 60 FPS solid with a single 6870. Anything past 60FPS is just bragging and gravy

Some slowness in towns, and if you rush out a cave for a few seconds. Which isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things of a good play experience at 1080p.

Try uninstalling the video drivers, and downgrading to 11.10 - See if it makes a difference.

Update the motherboard drivers - Test.
    Update the motherboard BIOS - Test.
    Remove the mods - Use a fresh install of skyrim - Test.

I think its the way the engine is - It is a big world after all. OC the CPU may only give you a slight boost but i don't feel it'll improve the entire gaming experience with this game. There was a review on a dual core, vs quad cores didn't show much gain if any with this game. Although it certainly wouldn't "hurt" to get it up to 3.2 GHZ. I will only do it when i run into a game that chugs consistently.

Like cbrunnem mentioned - Lots of distance objects object detail will drag on FPS until it loads - Just reduce it to high and see what happens. It'll be a major improvement likely. Just tweak the shadow settings, etc.

Probably wont upgrade the CPU/Unit till either it dies, or i need a reason to - Say, AMD Bulldozer rev 2, or Whatever the next sandybridge is that has 6/8 cores that isn't 500+

This chart explains it all for the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3077-5.html

Still in the "third" tier for a Q9550 - So its actually quite good. I'd trust this chart.

I want to make it clear for people looking in on this thread. a 6850 will NOT play skyrim at 1080p with every slider maxed. if it can its not at 60 fps. i have a 6950 with a 4.5 ghz 2600k and i get 60-70 fps with a bit of hesistation sometimes. thats with every slider maxed. i can see it with object detail distance down and AA at like 4 or 8.

but at 4.5 my cpu is still bottlenecking my gpu in towns. my gpu usage is around 90-93 so to have a Q9550 your losing some fps on a 6950 and probably a 6850.
  8. I own an overclocked edition of GTX 580 (Zotac AMP!) and i also play skyrim @1920x1080 on high settings with a decent amount of texture mods like yourself. I left the draw distances on "High Preset" and i use only FXAA (MSAA off). Other than these everything is maxed out.

My Q9550 quad core runs @ 3.35Ghz and I look at a FPS amount of 25 FPS at riften and some other cities. Other than that i can say its a solid 60 or close.

Now the thing is, when i set graphics to LOW (i mean every single thing on low)climb the Dragonreach in order to look down to the city, i get 40 FPS. In Riften, guess what? Again 30-35 FPS. ON LOW.

From this i can say its so obvious that the problem here is a mix of Bad Console Port Coding and a lack of full CPU potential usage since the game uses 2 cores only.

From this picture i'm seeing, I can say playing Oblivion won't make a difference either.
  9. audicted said:
    I own an overclocked edition of GTX 580 (Zotac AMP!) and i also play skyrim @1920x1080 on high settings with a decent amount of texture mods like yourself. I left the draw distances on "High Preset" and i use only FXAA (MSAA off). Other than these everything is maxed out.

My Q9550 quad core runs @ 3.35Ghz and I look at a FPS amount of 25 FPS at riften and some other cities. Other than that i can say its a solid 60 or close.

Now the thing is, when i set graphics to LOW (i mean every single thing on low)climb the Dragonreach in order to look down to the city, i get 40 FPS. In Riften, guess what? Again 30-35 FPS. ON LOW.

From this i can say its so obvious that the problem here is a mix of Bad Console Port Coding and a lack of full CPU potential usage since the game uses 2 cores only.

From this picture i'm seeing, I can say playing Oblivion won't make a difference either.

idk if this is what your saying but the reason for bad fps is cause your cpu is not good enough. not cause its a bad port or something cause i dont get bad studders or something to indicate a bad port its just that it likes a high clock speed. its been shown to gain fps up to a 4.0 clock on a sandy bridge cpu and its been show to gain fps going from a i3 to an i5. your cpu isnt close to the same speed as those and thats the reason for your bad fps cause i have a 6950 and i get 55 to 120 fps everywhere.
  10. I meant for the usage of only 2 cores, but you are right.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Low FPS Skyrim Graphics