Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Please Check My First $2,000 Gaming Rig Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 10, 2012 5:48:00 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 weeks.

Budget Range: $2,000-100 total.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, and movies.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Cheapest.

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Intel i5 2500k

Overclocking: Perhaps

SLI or Crossfire: Likely in the near future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Please check my first build for compatibility; if you have any other recommendations, I would really appreciate them as this is my first build.

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... CORSAIR 600T
2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Asus ZP868-V PRO/GEN3
3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... i5 2500k
4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... CM 212 EVO
5. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Samsung 830 SSD 64GB
6. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Sapphire HD 7970
7. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Windows 7 Home Premium
8. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Corsair Vengeance 8GB
9. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... SeaSonic X-1050
10. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Asus 24X DVD Burner
11. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Seagate Barracuda 1 TB

Total = $2032.01 including tax and shipping.

Best solution

February 10, 2012 5:51:49 PM

Looks good! If you can drop the case to the HAF 912, you can get a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD.
Share
February 10, 2012 6:11:41 PM

azeem40 said:
Looks good! If you can drop the case to the HAF 912, you can get a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD.


Okay, thanks, I'll remove Samsung 830 and replace it with Crucial M4 SSD 128; there are so many of them with similar prices. I'll have to do some research on SSD. I assume I can just use the extra space for games. I think Windows 7 only uses about 60 GB.
Score
0
Related resources
February 10, 2012 6:41:09 PM

Windows 7 will use much less than 60GB. 15GB max.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:08:51 PM

azeem40 said:
Windows 7 will use much less than 60GB. 15GB max.


Looks like I'll be loading tons of games on this 128 GB SSD then. Looks like I have a lot of read but no comments; perhaps all my research is complete! I was able to shop for better prices and dropped the price from $2,030 to $1744. The total cost!
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:17:32 PM

How are you going to use your SSD...dedicated boot drive or as a cache drive for your 1TB HDD? If it's as a boot drive, then you want a minimum of 90GB, and ideally 120GB. If it's as a cache drive, then the maximum supported HDD size is 60GB.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:24:36 PM

Windows 7 x64 is 20-30 GB. You can get that down some, but not too much. I'd say 128 GB is pretty much the perfect point for a gaming rig. Enough space so you're not swapping games in and out every day, but not so much you're paying an arm and a leg for it.

Personally, I'd hold off on building for a while. We're looking at launches of two major product lines in the very near future, Ivy Bridge and Kepler. Even if you don't need the power IVB provides, the launch will be accompanied by a price drop on the Sandy Bridge line. Similarly, Kepler will probably drive prices down on the 7970s, because right now they're more than a little overpriced due to the lack of competition.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:35:58 PM

willard said:
Windows 7 x64 is 20-30 GB. You can get that down some, but not too much. I'd say 128 GB is pretty much the perfect point for a gaming rig. Enough space so you're not swapping games in and out every day, but not so much you're paying an arm and a leg for it.

Personally, I'd hold off on building for a while. We're looking at launches of two major product lines in the very near future, Ivy Bridge and Kepler. Even if you don't need the power IVB provides, the launch will be accompanied by a price drop on the Sandy Bridge line. Similarly, Kepler will probably drive prices down on the 7970s, because right now they're more than a little overpriced due to the lack of competition.


Good idea. I'll just buy the items that are on sale now, excluding CPU, HD 7970. Who knows, Nvidia may bring out even a better card then 7970. Besides HD 7990 will be cheaper than cross-firing HD 7970. Only 2 more months away from Ivy Bridge i5 3750k, the approx equivalent of i5 2500k I think. Please inform me if I am wrong.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:39:17 PM

You may also want to look here and make sure that that's the power supply you really want.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:40:46 PM

of the way said:
You may also want to look here and make sure that that's the power supply you really want.

Too bad it doesn't have the 7000 series of AMD.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:42:47 PM

of the way said:
You may also want to look here and make sure that that's the power supply you really want.


I think the SeaSonic X-1050 Gold is great; it's modular and who knows how many Sli(s) or Crosses I would want in the near future.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 7:54:52 PM

azeem40 said:
Too bad it doesn't have the 7000 series of AMD.


True, but it can give you a good enough idea.


And Alyus, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Just making sure.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 8:04:46 PM

of the way said:
True, but it can give you a good enough idea.


And Alyus, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Just making sure.


Definitely. I wouldn't shy away from buying the heart of the system with some extra cash. SeaSonic is a top brand, it's Gold, modular; can't ask for more. I will most definitely purchase two GPUs.
Score
0
February 10, 2012 8:06:32 PM

I was wondering since I've made up my mind to wait for Ivy Bridge and for the HD 7970 prices to drop that I should just postpone everything else as well and hope that all prices of computer components will decrease in the next few months? I have no experience as this is my first build. Any thoughts on this?
Score
0
February 17, 2012 12:04:17 AM

Best answer selected by Alyus.
Score
0
February 22, 2012 10:23:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!