BootSector Write !! VIRUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay, my comp started acting funny awhile back, saying it was out of memory resources that sorta thing, sounded like NIMDA. So I reformatted the drive. Well, I went to re-install windows and at the very beginning it popped up. "BootSector Write !! VIRUS: Continue (Y/N)?" At which point it freezes and has to be restarted manually or via ctrl+alt+del. I've tried replacing the hard drive twice now, thinking perhaps the first was faulty, but to no avail. It came straight out of the box, into the comp, with a clean startup disk and fdisk'ing pops up the message "BootSector Write !! VIRUS..." yadda yadda yadda... Please somebody help me I'm getting so frustrated and nobody I've talked to has ever seen this before. Thanks.

G

But it can't be the hard drive, can it? It came straight out of the box, twice, with the same cursed problem on my comp. Somebody else thought it might be my motherboard, anybody else have any thoughts?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well of course its writing to your boot sector, your installing an OS aren't you? Ever think of disabling that in bios?

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

G

ok, nevermind, talked to an old friend of mine, he knew what to do. He showed me how to clear the master boot record. It's a parameter for fdisk, fdisk /mbr. Thanks for all your help anyway.

G

I know that this pose is a bit old but i just thought if you get in the same possion.......I have had the same problem & all i did was to make a start-up disk useing a antivirus software called MC.AFEE at least i think thats how u spell it !. & i have had no probls since . All it did was to wipe the bood sector in the bios & then clean it. All is well now !i could send it to you in a e-mail if you pass on your address OR you could chat to me on KBLA63 on AOL IM (instant messenger) notmaly about 12:pm (GMT) uk time !

linux has got to be better !

Status
Not open for further replies.