Bandwidth Throttling Software for ISPs.

G

I am looking for a ISP Software Solution that allows me to Authenticate User by Mac Address, and allows me to throttle the users bandwidth. I am running a routed Network with close to 3000 students. Till this point I have been running the network open with no authentication and no bandwidth throttling. Any suggestions you all have I would greatly apreciate.

Thanks

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am looking for a ISP Software Solution...
I am running a routed Network with close to 3000 students...
??

Are you an ISP, or do you just need to control access to the Internet for LAN users? Some info on your environment would go a long way to help people help you.

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"

G

I am an ISP, Let me explain my topology in detail and you'll see my challenge. Were located in Provo Ut and provide all of the telephone service for most of the Off Campus Housing complexes. (BYU, USVC etc.) Most of the complexes have between 300 to 1200 students. Weve bought and implemented a wireless backbone to connect all of the complexes. Weve put routers on the head end of each complex and Ethernet every apartment in the complex. So were built like a Lan/Wan but need to manage like an ISP. (Bandwidth throttling is a must so that we can up sale service etc.). When my company hired me, I told them I was a router guy not security, now that I have the complexes up and running they want me to find a way to controll it. *shrug* makes sense but they should have had a security guy the whole time.

Thanks for your reply;)

hypnotic_kumquat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What type of routers are you using?

You can configure traffic shaping on Cisco routers to limit the data rate though an interface that fits a defined criteria. E.G. IP traffic from network 'A' destined for network 'B' going out subinterface 's1.1' should be limited to 512kb.

"Let's take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection clean the gene pool!"