Government Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The children can't share the sandbox. That pretty much sums it up. The republicans are essentially being difficult to make the democrats look bad. Obama kept expecting congress to act like adults, but then they had a food fight and he got stuck with the mess.

It's a tough situation. Clinton came out of the previous shutdown smelling like roses because both the House and Senate were controlled by the GOP. However, this time the GOP only has the House. A potential key though is that the "Tea Party" has been hoping for a shutdown over the past few weeks, which will not make the GOP look very good in the eyes on moderates. That's the political side anyway.

Chances are that it'll happen, as no agreement what so ever is in sight. The Senate keeps blocking a continuing resolution because the cuts are too large, which I agree with. I also agree though that cuts need to be made, but not in such a drastic matter in a simple continuing resolution. What needs to occur is a debate on the budget as a whole, then reasonable cuts can be made.

$30 - $60 billion of cuts in what, a $1.5 trillion deficit is too large?

The Dems totally ignored the question of bipartisanship when they held both houses. Now, they are whining about bipartisanship when they don't.

Let the government shut down.

You need a budget that shows a small surplus ... deal wtih reality and move on.

Otherwise your country is going to have to renegotiate your debt ceiling ... that isn't going to be pretty.

Your US dollar is already under enough pressure.

Just cut your foreign aid program, retire a few vessels ... budget fixed !!

P.S. Can we hire one of your supercarriers ... I have an idea for a ship of gambing, drunken debauchery and sin that badge and I can sail around the world in.

Keep the Tomahalks though ... not firing one of those and getting a $750,000 charge on my room service tab.

I'll have the captain's cabin.

Batman !!

The parasites in Congress are bickering over a billion here, or a billion there, oblivious to the fact that HUNDREDS of billions need to be cut; sorry, we simply don't have the money; never mind questions over the Government's policy of arbitrarily confiscating people's earnings, in blatant violation of their individual rights to the fruits of their labors.
It gets worse. If there is a "shutdown" (essential services are not affected, like the military and air traffic control; Social Security checks will still go out), federal employees will still get paid, just not until the shutdown ends. Most will receive full back pay too, even though (by law) they will have done no work.
Google for "Porter Stansberry" and "End of America." The guy is a convicted Wall Street fraudster/gambler who sells reports, and some of his data is out of context, but the fact remains, if our elected parasites don't drastically change their ways, overnight, we're done. And I'm not holding my breath.

I have no idea why we still have such odd arrangements for governments. Regardless of what "democratic" nation you look at, instead of hiring people capable of doing a job we let people, based on their own personal beliefs and delusions, campaign for the job and then at least in the UK allow the person who gets less than half the votes from less than half the possible voters have what can be very important positions.

Crazy.

I remember reading in civ 4 I think it was how the old korean system before they were annexed by japan I think it was had a monarchy who instead of ruling themselves, appointed people who were best qualified to run the government. No idea if it worked but it seemed a good idea, have the people qualified deal with important things affecting a nation.

Seeing as politicians seem to forget what they are supposed to be doing, i.e what is best for all not what they think is best for a few, I don't know why they don't just do away with the whole system and start a fresh.

+1 exactly. The Dems were defeated in droves last fall when they 'should' have addressed the budget before they were lost. Fact: Obama waited to long to address the pesky budget problem He now faces. Obama's poor judgemt and lack of recitude is THE problem with his rubbish policy making both home and abroad and for that matter his entire presidency. That is fact.

His execution of his policies and what he tackled makes him even more unpopular.

The fact of the matter is we have guys and gals over there who do not care. Over at the White House, Reid, Obama and Boehner are all pulling down their pants to see who is bigger. Explanation: Who is in charge.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011

How would the person appointed to hire said individuals receive position? What would qualify appointees as the most eligible? Unfortunately monarchies don't really work. While democracy is flawed, it's the best we have.

The problem with elections are financial in nature and having to pay back companies / unions / individuals for keeping said politician in office with cash streams. It's become a game of marketing. E.g. Obama--Definitely not the most qualified nor intelligent, but marketed the best.

Here is an idea to fix this deficit we have: End the 2 'wars' we have in the Middle East.

Moammar Khadaffi wrote Barack Obama a letter Thursday telling him he will always be his son. What a generous winner. Who'd have believed after three weeks of war, Moammar Khadaffi's government would still be running and Obama's government would shut down.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Some of you sound just like your GOP party, only you keep forgetting that it was your guy (8 years of it) who put us in this mess to start with.
Now you blame Obama for not getting us out of it in 3 years.
It's going to take 10 to 12 years to us out the mess that our predecessor put us in. In the meantime we, The United States, can't ignore foriegn policy. We still have to help protect the rest of the world, even if it looks just like we're only protecting the oil.

Think of what the Middle East would be like if we just sat back and watched and did nothing.
One thing for sure, the Dem's & Gop's aren't working together to make our lives any easier and the Tea Party is only making things worse.

Yeah, Clinton's failed middle east foeign policy was so successful people forget just how effective He was at failure. Clinton's failed foreign policy is responsible for causing the war in Iraq. In addition, the nuclear power plant Clinton built for N. Korea at taxpayer expense for that country's word to end their nuclear weapons development program worked out well. Obama's administration's elitist rubbish policy making both domestically and foreign is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=457jp8VGhEE

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
If all the money spent in the Middle East since 1976 had been earmarked to develop a tech. that would power family transport and commercial trucking vehicles at 70 m.p.h. on something other than oil ,who would care about any of this? We need a Manhatten Project for energy independence. Both political parties and the corporate intrests that finance them(usually the same) have failed to care enough about long term intrests to do any thing but keep the status quo. We elect leaders to lead not just get re-elected and sell pie in the sky budget figures and peace initives. I hope anyway.

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

It took the Walking Dead and the Alaska Idiot to get Obama elected.

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

Bush was right to hit the Taliban and bin Ladin. He was also right to ask our treaty allies for help.

The United States of America: The new and final Rome.

When China rises, they will fall flat on their face faster than we. Heck, if the Chinese currency wasn't tied to the US dollar, China would be taking off by now. When we or China unties either currency, one of us will fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.