Sign in with
Your question

Laptop performance problem Cpu freq goes down when cpu is workin hard

Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2012 3:35:28 PM

Hi all I have a Mecer W170hn basicly an Clevo W170hn laptop. I had it repaired because the lan port just stopped working one day and i also complained about a overheating problem it reached 98 degrees celsius. I thougt it was abnormal for any system to get so hot and may damage the components. I used Core temp to read the temps.

Laptop specs:
intel core I7 2670qm
intel hm65 chipset
nvidia gt 540m
4 Gigs Ram
500G hdd

After the laptop was repaired, the mobo was swapped out and everything seemed to work fine. The overheating problem was gone. Well actualy the laptop can't perform hard enough to get hot.

I ran Chinebench r11.5 64x bit and got a cpu overall rating of 2.65 when power was plugged in and got even less when unplugged. Originally I got a 4.85 rating plugged in and a 2.85 rating when the laptops power weren't plugged in. Iv'e checked the frequancy and it goes down from 100% to 55% - 65% as soon as Chinebench starts benching and it seems intels Tubo core tech only kicks in when doing low end tasks and cpu isn't at full load. This bothers me alot because it effects my gaming performance. So if you can help me solve this mystery PLZ!!
a c 159 à CPUs
May 28, 2012 12:06:50 AM

Intel boards have a bios setting to slow down the cpu to save energy and run cooler. You may be able to disable it in the bios, but I don't recommend it since you've had heat issues before. It's called speedstep or EIST for short.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2012 12:27:05 AM

dslayer99 said:
Hi all I have a Mecer W170hn basicly an Clevo W170hn laptop. I had it repaired because the lan port just stopped working one day and i also complained about a overheating problem it reached 98 degrees celsius. I thougt it was abnormal for any system to get so hot and may damage the components. I used Core temp to read the temps.

Laptop specs:
intel core I7 2670qm
intel hm65 chipset
nvidia gt 540m
4 Gigs Ram
500G hdd

After the laptop was repaired, the mobo was swapped out and everything seemed to work fine. The overheating problem was gone. Well actualy the laptop can't perform hard enough to get hot.

I ran Chinebench r11.5 64x bit and got a cpu overall rating of 2.65 when power was plugged in and got even less when unplugged. Originally I got a 4.85 rating plugged in and a 2.85 rating when the laptops power weren't plugged in. Iv'e checked the frequancy and it goes down from 100% to 55% - 65% as soon as Chinebench starts benching and it seems intels Tubo core tech only kicks in when doing low end tasks and cpu isn't at full load. This bothers me alot because it effects my gaming performance. So if you can help me solve this mystery PLZ!!

take your power plan off power saver and set it to high performance. that should solve it.

btw 98*c is not abnormal. i have had 3 i7 laptops and they all have run that hot.
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2012 10:17:24 AM

Thanx for the reply!

I made sure i checked the power setting is on performance and still no change. I've entered the bios wich only lets me change the date and time settings in the main form and in the advanced form i have advanched chipset control which only lets me change the Blue tooth power setting, a sata mode selection, legacy usb support, boot time diagnostic screen, power on boot beep, bat low alarm beep and UEFI boot. i also have a security and boot load order form but thats not important. I can't find any setting that would let me change the speedstep or EIST.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2012 3:15:29 PM

um the only thing i can think of is that it has dust in it which is unlikely of the repair shop messed up and didnt put the heatsink on correctly.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
May 28, 2012 5:51:01 PM

Dust won't do that. It's a software issue. But at least it works. You may need to do your gaming on another system. Laptops are a compromise when it comes to gaming. They can't operate at full speed all the time or the battery would run down quickly and there's no room for a good heatsink.
m
l
!