Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC upgrade suggestions

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 8:20:54 PM

Hey all, just looking for suggestions on what I should focus on upgrading on my 3 year old gaming desktop. Here's the specs:

Windows 7 x64
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
2x2GB DDR3 G.Skill RAM
EarthWatts 500W PSU
I think my case is an old Sonata III or something similar.

I can actually run most new games like BF3 and Skyrim on relatively high settings (usually with AA off or low, though). I'm not entirely sure what my weakest component is right now, my CPU or GPU. I'm looking to spend ~$150 to upgrade one of those, most likely. I was looking at Phenom X4 975/80s on newegg that seem pretty nice.

Also I just realized my mobo is pretty old now since they've got the 900 series out there...though not sure if it's necessary to upgrade that since it does have an AM3 socket.

All suggestions are appreciated, but please don't tell me to build a whole new PC...I don't have that kind of money right now!
February 10, 2012 9:29:51 PM

how much are you looking to spend on it?
February 10, 2012 9:31:50 PM

oops.. $150 I see. Yeah, get the CPU. some more ram would be good too. Maybe like 2x4gb.
Related resources
February 10, 2012 10:07:07 PM

I've been comparing the 960T with the 975BE and 980BE... I think I'm gonna end up going with the 980BE here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I'm pretty sure I can use my current heatsink/fan on it, but I'll definitely be watching temps to make sure. I can always invest in an aftermarket cooler.

I don't think I need more RAM. 4GB is plenty unless you're doing heavy multitasking or running CAD software or something.

I'll probably think about a new GPU as my next purchase. The 6870 looks pretty nice. Would that be a huge step up from my 4850, you think?
!