Increasing graphic performance of 2nd gen intel core processor

itsmetanmay02

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
guys i have a intel 2nd generation core i5-2500 processor(3.3ghz x 4) and an inbuilt graphic processor as usual,intel hd graphics 2000 and a intel motherboard( dz68db). what concerns me is the windows rating for graphics of my pc( 5.2 and 5.6) and it is smtimes a problem with high end games, i also have a 1gb gddr3 graphic card (ati radeon 4000/5000 series) can i hook both of them up fr better graphic performance?

you cannot combine intel's igp with amd/ati's gfx card. you can't 'hook up' intel's igp with any discreet gfx card. besides, the igp should be disabled when the discreet gfx card is installed. hd 2000 igp in the i5 2500 isn't suitable for playing high end games, it is good for basic works and play low end and older games.
what is the model of your 1gb gddr3 gfx card? it could be an older card (newer models are 6000 series) so it might not be suitable for high end gaming.
for gaming at high res. you need a higher end discreet gfx card.

I agree, while the HD2000 is quite capable for day to day computing, it is no good for games and other high end applications. Any 1GB card should play games decently (or at least a lot better than the integrated graphics), even if it is an older card, but installing that card will disable your onboard gpu (unless you have an z68 chipset, but somehow I dobut that). just be sure to know if your system's power supply is enough for your 1GB gpu, if it is not then you will need a bigger power supply to match with the card.

you can find power requirements for the card, and a minimum system power requirement for most cards on the manufactuers website.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
^ he does have a z68, he says the mobo is an intel dz68db

What the others say is correct, you can't "combine" both. You can use only one at a time. And you should use your ATI to game (or get another newer card if it's a low-end part).

itsmetanmay02

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
thnx guys, fr the info. bt to my surprise the igp is wrking better than the card (mw3,battlefield bt not too good) bt sadly i will have to buy a new one. will a 1gb gddr5 (ati) work well fr these games?

what is your budget?
which site will you buy from?
which psu are you using?
how many amps do you have on your psu's +12 v rail(s)?
other factors are case air flow, case size (important for long cards like 6950) etc.
for mw3, you will need a good gfx card with at least 1 gb gddr5 memory. for gfx cards, the gpu takes priority. because if the gpu isn't strong enough, large size vrams can't help. the weak gpu will choke before it gets to use the full vram. a stronger gpu with ample amount of vram is the perfect combination for gaming. for example, don't get cards like radeon hd 6670 2 gb gddr5 vram. a 6850 with 1 gb gddr5 vram would be better than that 6670.

itsmetanmay02

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

dude, i am not much of a computer freak so i dont really knw wat u talking about but i guess the last two three lines were relevant (thats the problem i m facing) so thnx fr that