Sign in with
Your question
Closed

First Timer Build, Can't even Post

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2012 9:42:04 PM

Well let me show you guys the parts I got:

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
MotherBoard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
HDD: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
Monitor: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
PC Case/Tower: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Bluray Burner: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

This was my first time building and let me tell you this, I am a complete newb. You might see mention some things that a first timer like me would do.

Alright so I tried to follow steps on how to build a PC together from three different websites. And I ended up having the PSU and the CPU fan only rotate for a few seconds before it stops when I turn on the PC. The PC doesn't even turn on at all. The motherboard has it's Start and Reset LEDs flashing when the power is connected.

Ok here are some problems I speculate that might be causing this:
-I might have let some static electricity through to one of the computer components and forgot to ground myself, but thats probably me being paranoid because I constantly touched the CPU case every time I moved an inch.

-When I didn't read the instructions and idiotically attempted to insert the HDD into the area where you place the DVD Burner instead, I lightly scraped against a metal piece on the motherboard, but it was a tick. Then I had to take out the HDD again realizing I put it in the wrong area and I could have taken out the tray from the front after reading the instructions (FINALLY)

-I possibly tightened the screws way too hard onto the motherboard, but Im not too sure if I did, I just tightened it so it touched the circular area displayed on the motherboard.

-Im working on a wooden desk and Im standing on carpet(which most likely produce static), so Idk if static somehow went through the wooden desk and hit one of my computer components

Now heres some things Im unsure of:

-Since there are 4 fans, and I only have two connectors that allowed me to connect the Fan Connector to the Motherboard, leaving me to choose 2 out of the 4 fans. I chose to use the fan facing the HDD and the huge fan facing the Motherboard. Idk if I should buy more connectors to connect the other 2 fans to the motherboard

-I don't know if my CPU was preThermal pasted before I put in the CPU but I have feeling it was

-I haven't tried the Paperclip test yet, considering I can't find a damn paper clip in this apartment.

-I haven't connected the Fan connectors to power, just the motherboard

-I have no clue what CPU_OPT is on the motherboard

Now some things I did while building the PC:

-Since the HDD tray was blocking my HDD & Bluray Burner connectors from connecting to the SATA ports because of that damn black extra component added onto the Tray that took up space, completely leaving little to no space between itself and the SATA ports. Seeing that, I had to swap the two HDD trays, One with that black component and the other without so I could get some space. Now the tray with the black component (which also contains my HDD) is on bottom level where my Corsair PSU is.

-I followed the instructions and did my best to connect the PSU connectors to the two ports on the motherboard, the ports on the Bluray Burner & HDD.

-The Graphics card basically is longer than my motherboard so it was annoying to put it into the PCIE port

-I slided the RAM in which wasn't too bad

-I inserted the HDAudio connector to the Audio port on the motherboard as well as the USB connector, the Cases' power, reset, and HDD LED connector.

Now Im a sitting duck reattempting to turn on my PC just to see the CPU Fan and the PSU Fan spin for a few seconds >.> And I have to turn the power off and back on just to see it do it again because it won't spin for a second time after the power is connected.

Please help a utter newb like me, I spent almost $2200 on this build and I was expecting myself to fail at some point >.>

People of the forum, I thank you for reading my LAP (Long-ass Post) and I appreciate the feedback =S

More about : timer build post

February 10, 2012 11:22:27 PM

^Of course p.O
I just did the Paperclip test. And... Everything else seems to be running except when I plug the 24 pin Connector to the Motherboard from the CPU.

So the Motherboard is probably Faulty........ Even though the LED Lights brighten when the Power is connected.....
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2012 11:44:52 PM

Check that the CPU fan is connected to the correct connector. If that is OK remove the motherboard from the case and try it on the bench. Unless you have faulty components then this will find 90% of all user induced problems.
Score
February 11, 2012 12:11:44 AM

^I just removed the Motherboard and put it on my wooden desk. It started to workO.O
Does that mean one of the screws from behind the Motherboard was short circuiting it?!!!
Score
February 11, 2012 12:14:07 AM

Wait.... I just double checked the standoff screws..... There was one in the wrong place and it was short circuiting the motherboard.........................................

I'm sorry I wasted your time.... Im just a pitiful Newb....
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2012 12:20:09 AM

Naw we all started out that way. That's why we made the checklist ;) 
Score
February 11, 2012 12:59:15 AM

^One more thing, This is probably irrelevant to this topic thread but relevant to my build.
Since Im down to connecting two fans, should I use those connectors on both the fans facing the Motherboard or one fan on the motherboard while the other fan facing the HDD?
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2012 1:03:18 AM

This is besides the CPU fan, right? Since they will be controlled by the boards internal sensors it makes a little more sense to use those fans.
Score
February 11, 2012 1:14:13 AM

Hmmm Im confused at the moment. Since those Fan's each have their own 4 pin connectors, Do I directly connect them to the Power supply or do I use the two Extension Connectors provided to connect them to the motherboard on two of the three CHA_FAN ports?
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2012 1:32:06 AM

A 4-pin connector is for a PWM fan, a fan that can be controlled as to speed by a controller. If you connect such a fan to just the PSU, it will run at full speed, which is fine.

Does that answer your question? Some fans provide a SINGLE wire in a 4-pin connection. This is so that the controller can do it's thing while the fan is actually powered directly by the PSU.
Score
February 11, 2012 1:51:38 AM

I'm not sure if you know this but I just took a look at you Motherboard specs and it says that you should have 2 CPU Fan connectors and 3 Chassis Fan connectors. So I think you should check your Motherboard manual one more time to see if you can connect all of your fans. Nice rig by the way!
Score
February 11, 2012 2:02:05 AM

Proximon said:
A 4-pin connector is for a PWM fan, a fan that can be controlled as to speed by a controller. If you connect such a fan to just the PSU, it will run at full speed, which is fine.

Does that answer your question? Some fans provide a SINGLE wire in a 4-pin connection. This is so that the controller can do it's thing while the fan is actually powered directly by the PSU.

Ah so If I connected all my fans to the PSU (Except the CPU fan) Ill be good to go correct?

@twstd1: That is correct, just confused if I have to connect the CHA_FAN ports to the Fans or I have to connect the Fans directly to the PSU. But I have that all figured out.

Anyways its nice to be apart of the Master race =D
That and my PS3.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2012 2:25:32 AM

Sure :)  If the noise is not too much....

OH! you have all Antec Tri-speed fans. Yes, they have little switches built into the cables. You can just set them as you like and leave them, no need to connect to the MB.
Score
February 11, 2012 2:31:21 AM

Well I turned it on, no display through the monitor =S

But everythings lighting up inside =S
Score
February 13, 2012 5:43:14 AM

What output did you connect to the monitor?
Score
February 13, 2012 11:07:28 AM

^I got my video card issue resolved. Apparently the connectors provided by EVGA was faulty, so I had to use the connectors provided by the PSU.

Now everything works so its all good.
Score

Best solution

February 13, 2012 11:26:41 AM

Oh I see. That's because your power supply wasn't meant to power your card using the same rail the molex power connectors are from. It has four dedicated 8 pin (6+2) connectors just for powering your GPUs. It's funny though looking at the sticker on the PSU doesn't show a split rail design but I'm betting that it is because usually when it's a single rail design the manufacturer will proudly display that fact. I guess single rail is better for some reason?
February 13, 2012 11:28:51 AM

^I guess so. I spoke with EVGA Tech support, and they told me their provided wires were only there as a last resort even though they turned out to be faulty >.>
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2012 6:38:21 PM

That's correct. You would ALWAYS use the connectors from the PSU.
Score
February 22, 2012 11:09:14 PM

Best answer selected by OmecronBlazor.
Score
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 11:39:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!