Computer switching itself off

drognah41

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,
I have a strange problem, hopefully one of you can help.

I have recently upgraded my graphics card to a MSI GTX560TI OC and since doing this my computer shuts down only whilst playing dungeon defender.
Within battlefield 3 and any other application it runs fine.

If I massivily under clock the vid card and drop the voltage it is more stable but does occasionally switch off.

Just to confirm this only ever happens in dungeon defender and did not happen before I upgraded my vid gard.

Specs
Asus P5N32-e sli MB
Intel E6600 clocked at 3.1 (has been clocked stable at this speed for years)
MSI GTX560TI OC (previous cards were 8800gt sli)
4gb of ddr2 800
PSU is a Enermax infinity 720w
windows 7 64bit premium

Hope this is enough info

Thanks

John

my first thought is that it is a power supply issue. 720W should be plenty for two of those cards, and a single would be less power than your two previous ones, so I guess that isnt it. I would try reinstalling the game first. Then try a ram test overnight. But if it is not the power supply, software, or ram then it is most likely the gpu that is faulty and that game just hapens to use a function on the damaged part of the card, while other games do not.

Also, what are your temps?

drognah41

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
My cpu is around 55 on load, my gpu never seems to go above 40 (it is the twin frozr version and seems to run very cool)

I have reinstalled the game several times, but as i said before it was not causing a problem with my old vid stup.

Given that everything else runs fine is a graphics card fault likley?

Cheers

monsta

Splendid
Thats strange it only crashes in one game.
Your PSU is plenty for the 560ti so I can't see it being the issue.
You may have to play around with the games settings and try different options and test them out.
Does it crash or just turns off instantly?

drognah41

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I am running the latest beta drivers (good in battlefield 3)

I will try using a older driver to see if this makes a difference

G

ASUS Gamer OSD Conflicts with the game. Try Uninstalling that and it should work sexy :D

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I would try running the game in lowest settings, and or google the best driver for that game and install that. I don't think there is a hardware problem otherwise it would do this in other games. I don't want to teach you to suck eggs but have you got the latest patch installed in that game, or maybe try uninstalling it and delete any folders it leave behind and then re-install.