Digitmate portable storage

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 4:23:10 PM

Anyoe used one of these ? Any thoughts ? There's quite a few on ebay,
but I cant find any reviews on the web - specs look good though...

http://www.pconline.com.sg/products/products.asp?linkid...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 4:23:11 PM

NC proves he is a FUDster nitwit who bought a pallet of junk he can't
sell because SANHO has a superior product for 2/3rds the price:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.swf

> http://www.compactdrive.co.uk/

http://www.3hdigital.com/

Please read it carefully. Obtain the services of a functioning brain
if some of the larger words confuse you.
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 5:50:07 PM

It's an external harddisk with an LCD screen. Don't forget to back it up

"NC" <me@home.com> wrote in message
news:D 71qne$e4i$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Anyoe used one of these ? Any thoughts ? There's quite a few on ebay, but
> I cant find any reviews on the web - specs look good though...
>
> http://www.pconline.com.sg/products/products.asp?linkid...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 5:52:04 PM

Geoff Sanson wrote:
> It's an external harddisk with an LCD screen. Don't forget to back it up
>
> "NC" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> news:D 71qne$e4i$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
>>Anyoe used one of these ? Any thoughts ? There's quite a few on ebay, but
>>I cant find any reviews on the web - specs look good though...
>>
>>http://www.pconline.com.sg/products/products.asp?linkid...

I'd be using it in the field for dumping CF cards to - then copying to
PC - not using it for long term storage.
More interested in peoples' experiences - battery life / copying speed /
ease of use / size etc etc
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 8:52:05 PM

eawckyegcy@yahoo.com wrote:
> NC can't be bothered to grep the net:
>

>>http://www.pconline.com.sg/products/products.asp?linkid...
>

> It's almost certainly a piece of junk. For ~$40 less you can get a
> much more capable unit:
>
> http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.386...
>
> Wait a few months and the PD70X will be even better (for more money of
> course).

Hmmm - maybe not !
http://www.compactdrive.co.uk/

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ( March 2005 )

We are sorry to announce that we have discontinued the supply of Compact
Drive PD7X. This is due to the fact that PD7X has high failure rate and
thus we are unable to keep up good customer support on this product.

The manufacturer tried hard to turn PD7X into an ultra performance unit
to suit most photographers. At the same time, however, they have given
up or ignored many critical issues including the unit's reliability

The high failure rate of PD7X has made selling these units an
unprofitable business. The built quality of the product is far worse
than what they promised and is not even close to what a professional
photographer needs. The most famous 'known issue' is the missing
regulator. Although they were trying to explain how a decent hard drive
can sustain the fluctuated voltage, they never made a statement against
'what if' something like this really happens. The fact is that they try
not to carry any responsibility for photo lost, considering this has
already happened to some users.

The whole unit is built cheaply. The 'dust cover' falls off frequently
and the two pins that holds the cover is so fragile that they break all
the time. Although this may not be a critical issue, it annoys both
users and resellers so much that sellers have to replace the cover for
users all the time.

Unfortunately the same problem exists on the other end of the unit - the
battery compartment. Most likely the clips that hold the hinge will
break within one year from day-to-day usage. Once they are broken, the
whole unit becomes unusable since the batteries can not be attached
properly. Therefore it is highly recommended that users DO NOT change
the batteries at all. Thus PD7X's winning feature, which is the ability
to change batteries, has faded out.

One other serious problem is the actual usable size of the hard drive is
unpredictable. Although the software provided can format large drives (>
30 GB) to FAT32 with no error, not all space is actually usable. We have
been reported that an 80 GB drive showed a 'No more space' error when
only 4.5 GB of data was really stored on the drive. A few Mac users
reported that the data became corrupted after the drive stores more than
30 GB of data. After reformatting the unit, the usable space became even
less than 30 GB.

Many evidences showed that PD7X is not a reliable product. More
importantly the manufacturer does not seem to have the intention to fix
these problems. As a result, we have to discontinue the Compact Drive
business. All future enquiries and customer supports including warranty
issue will be handled by 3HDigital (the manufacturer) and their
Authorized International Representative: www.compactdrive.com . For more
information please contact: sales@compactdrive.com

At the moment, we have discovered a few products that have similar, if
not better, functions to PD7X. One of them will become our future
product. This new product will have the following features:

1. Functions as a simple, but robust portable storage. It will need to
be strong enough to work under extreme environment, including at low
temperature. Water resistance is a bonus.

2. Reliable. That means the unit must go through our comprehensive tests.

3. Long battery life, preferably will use normal AA
rechargeable/non-rechargeable batteries.

4. Fast speed. A minimum of 2 MB/s download speed is required.

5. Have the ability to delete stored files without needing to access a
computer.

6. Bugs free. It must have no anonymous errors.

7. Have the ability to update firmware safely.

8. Must have software developed for both Windows users and Mac users.

If your products seem to match our minimum criteria, please contact us
as soon as possible. We would like to distribute your products
internationally. info@compactdrive.net "
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 10:57:27 PM

Fair enough...
no need to be a twat about it though.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 11:20:50 PM

NC wrote:
> Fair enough...
> no need to be a twat about it though.

ps - and I've just ordered one from the US..
!