Better Option than 9500GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deedubbadoo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I have an HP Compaq dc5850 Microtower. It is my everyday machine, but I will occasionally game on it. I was gifted an EVGA 1GB 9500GT DDR2. I still have the stock PSU, so I was wondering if there are any better cheap options without having to upgrade the PSU. I'm not in a place where I can spend a lot, but just looking for a little bump in performance. Thanks in advance!

-Dom

Solution
I bought myself an ATI Radeon 5760 a few months ago (Gigabyte version with the large fan for less noise). Comparable performance to a GeForce 8800GTS (although I think for some things, my GTS is better) and will certainly be a step up from a 9500GT. Runs fine on my 300w 'nothing special' PSU and cost just £50 - no idea what country you are in but prices probably won't be all that different.
well you would need to know the specific wattage of the PSU which can be done by looking at it, or on a spec sheet from the manufacturer's website (sorry, too lazy to look it up myself). But I believe any current entry level card which does not require a power connector should work fine... just double check that before purchasing anything. And just about anything is going to be an upgrade from the 'ol 9500. Not a terrible card in it's day, but it's day has come and gone. Note also that your CPU may bottleneck things and it may be time for a full system upgrade before too long, so dont waste your money on something that has spent it's life.

presto84

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I bought myself an ATI Radeon 5760 a few months ago (Gigabyte version with the large fan for less noise). Comparable performance to a GeForce 8800GTS (although I think for some things, my GTS is better) and will certainly be a step up from a 9500GT. Runs fine on my 300w 'nothing special' PSU and cost just £50 - no idea what country you are in but prices probably won't be all that different.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.