AMD Phenom II 955 BE over clocked at 3.8
MSI 870A-G54 mobo
8GB Gskill Ripjaws series ram
Corsair CS600 PSU
AMD Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB Graphics card
Scythe Mugen III CPU cooler
WD 320j HD
all wraped in an Antec 300 illusion series case

I use this PC for gaming and for online school, currently it plays some WoW and SWTOR it plays WoW at highest settings with no issues and SWTOR on Med-High settings at around 40 FPS.

I would like to eventually get to playing SWTOR on the highest settings at 60 FPS, my budget for upgrades is ~$250 can you name anything that i should look into that might get me where I want to be on this budget or to get me closer?

More about : upgrade suggestions

a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 11:13:18 PM

It seems the most logical step is to buy another graphics card and put them in Crossfire. I don't think any other upgrade will boost the performance as much as 2 6850's in CrossfireX configuration.

The 6850 can CF with any 6800 gpus such so it can CF with the 6870 and the 6850, but I recommend going with the same gpu, even the same manufacturer if you can. I assume the gfx card came with a crossfire cable, so all you need is another gfx card.
This would be the most logical gfx card since it is the most similar to the one you have now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Everything else looks set for the upgrade. You have a PSU that is more than capable of supporting the graphics card.
Score
February 10, 2012 11:33:05 PM

Yes i built this system with an eye toward future upgrading, my card did not include the CF bridge which i found odd untill a bit of research showed that many cards end up at their purchaser without them.

My issue with going CF is it seems most mmo type games dont build in compatability for SLI/CF to take full advantage of them, resulting in minimal if any performance gains between single card and dual+ card configurations.

Would a straight card upgrade like a 560 TI be that much of a difference maker? or would I be better served staying with what I have and saving up for an I5-2500k and Mobo?
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 10, 2012 11:35:27 PM

jim45682 said:
Yes i built this system with an eye toward future upgrading, my card did not include the CF bridge which i found odd untill a bit of research showed that many cards end up at their purchaser without them.

My issue with going CF is it seems most mmo type games dont build in compatability for SLI/CF to take full advantage of them, resulting in minimal if any performance gains between single card and dual+ card configurations.

Would a straight card upgrade like a 560 TI be that much of a difference maker? or would I be better served staying with what I have and saving up for an I5-2500k and Mobo?

Well, the i5 isn't going to boost performance as much as a gfx card will. I recommend to save more money and see if you can get an Ivy bridge CPU and a better graphics card
Score

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 11, 2012 12:41:01 AM

For most games, your cpu is stronger than your graphics card.

To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

I do not much like cf/sli so long as one good card will do the job.

If you decide you can use a graphics update, your 6850 is worth perhaps $100 or so on ebay.
Take that, and your $250, and you are in the 6970 or GTX570 range.
I would not upgrade much less than that because you may be disappointed if you don't see a big enough jump.
I don't think a GTX560ti is a big enough jump.

If you think you need a cpu upgrade, try to wait for ivy bridge in April. A 2500K now is a great upgrade, but in April, you will get 10% more performance at the price point, and probably much better overclocking. ... just my guess...
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
February 11, 2012 1:05:27 AM

I have read that crossfire doesn't work very well in SWTOR. I have also heard that single AMD cards work better than single NVIDIA ones.

Selling the old card and getting a 6970 might do the trick.
Score
February 11, 2012 5:57:31 AM

Best answer selected by jim45682.
Score
February 11, 2012 11:01:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!