Cpu temp vs individual core temperature

bondy3

Honorable
May 10, 2012
should the temperature of my CPU be the average of all the core temperatures?

for example, my CPU is running at 75c, but the average of the cores is 30c

this is not running under load, the CPU is running at 1.2 Ghz and is at 3% load (i7 3930k)

Solution
Your temps are fine, SpeedFan is wrong on newer gen Intel CPU's on certain boards (mine included). It incorrectly detects the VRM sensor as the CPU sensor, for whatever reason. I really wish people would stop using it because I have to tell someone that daily.

Use HWMonitor and look at "Package" temp. That's the REAL CPU temp (besides the cores, of course).

bondy3

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Im using Speedfan and HWmoniter (both give the same reading)

when I reset and then look at the Bios its always sub 40, is there a way to look at the bios while windows is running?

cpu temp should be the temp of the 'package' cores should be the temps of the cores, so they should be loosely related, but not an average. 70+ seems very high, and does not seem right with the cores being 30C, can you use realtemp and do a sensor test, i'm concerned that the cores aren't measuring temps properly.

bondy3

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I installed RealTemp,

Im running it at the same time as Speedfan,

currently Speedfan is reading my CPU at 69c, Realtemp is reading 29 30 32 31 (there are 4 numbers, not sure what they mean)

Your temps are fine, SpeedFan is wrong on newer gen Intel CPU's on certain boards (mine included). It incorrectly detects the VRM sensor as the CPU sensor, for whatever reason. I really wish people would stop using it because I have to tell someone that daily.

Use HWMonitor and look at "Package" temp. That's the REAL CPU temp (besides the cores, of course).

Solution

bondy3

Honorable
May 10, 2012

whats wrong with core 4?

bondy3

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I just realized that there are 2 versions, a 4 core and a 6 core one, Im running the sensor test again on the 6 core version

sensortest.jpg