Sign in with
Your question

Best controller for Video Games?

Last response: in Components
March 24, 2001 5:21:39 AM

I am planning on buying a new controller for video games. I don't want to block myself in and only go with a mouse. So please suggest some controllers (any type) that you have found to be good for many first person games (Quake III, Star Trek Elite Force, etc). Please describe the features and how they allow you to play better than otehr controls would.

Thanks

It worked yesterday! :lol: 

More about : controller video games

March 24, 2001 8:20:39 PM

This is all down to personal opinion although from what I've read previously, the mouse is still favourite.

I prefer to use a trackball (it doesn't offer any additional features, I just find it more comfortable).
March 27, 2001 5:46:09 AM

Do you play First Person Shooter games with the track ball? I was wondering if it is easy to use with those type of games....I might give it a try...

It worked yesterday! :lol: 
Related resources
March 27, 2001 8:58:16 PM

I think the majority of hard-core computer users like the optical mice, because they never have to clean the ball. Exfoliation is hell, expecially on trackballs. I use the Kensington (big-friggin-ball) trackballs, and they work excellent as long as you don't load the Kensington drivers. They are easy to clean, and you rarely ever have to (once every 6 months). Track balls are nice because you don't have to pick them up, and you can adjust it anywhere is most comfortable.

I've heard/seen an optical trackball, but never looked into them much.
March 28, 2001 2:19:41 PM

Track balls are much better where accuracy is crucial (the Rail gun in Q3). A mouse gives better overall control, when running turning shooting all at the same time.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>
Anonymous
April 2, 2001 7:55:20 AM

I think the hard core gamers still go for mice. Not just any mouse will do. It's gotta have excellent resolution. Check out this link URL: http://www.razerzone.com/. Many of the top Quake 3 arena players uses the Razer Boomslang mouse. I would choose a USB mouse over a PS/2 also for more smoothness. The mouse is longer with slightly grippier buttons than a normal mouse. The mouse wheel also has 45 clicks per rotation which is more than double a normal mouse. All of this info is contained in the link.

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility
!