Locking Desktop Folder settings

September 23, 2004 12:59:07 PM

I am trying to group frequently used network connections into folders on my
desktop. I would like them to display as Icons and remember the window size
after I close and re-open them. They open and close now in somewhat random
ways and I have to repeatedly resize the windows and reset them to Icons.

Can I lock these properties in XP Professional?
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 1:10:58 PM

Have you tried under TOOLS - Folder Options, clicking
these settings: 'Remeber each folder view settings'
Restore previous folder at log in' And after checking
them click on Apply to All folders at the top?

Stan
(waiting on a way to disable HArdware Detection and
thought I would help)

September 23, 2004 9:01:02 PM

i have tried that hundreds of times. each time most folders will default size

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Have you tried under TOOLS - Folder Options, clicking
> these settings: 'Remeber each folder view settings'
> Restore previous folder at log in' And after checking
> them click on Apply to All folders at the top?
>
> Stan
> (waiting on a way to disable HArdware Detection and
> thought I would help)

September 24, 2004 4:41:22 AM

Hi Bill,

Desktop folders at times inhereit the same sizes. Try dragging the window
open using the double arrows, set the preferred view and use File/Close or
Exit.

The View Setting of the Current Selected Folder Is Not Applied to Another
Open Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307116

Tip:

By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
(200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently Used'
basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this to 8000
by adding this edit to the registry.

Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP