Sign in with
Your question

Home lan file server/juke box

Last response: in Systems
February 11, 2012 1:30:45 AM

Hello,
I have a motherboard that I want to put to use, but it has never been used and I am not sure if it even works. So I need to know if there are ways I can test the motherboard. It looks new.
There is no dust or corrosion anywhere.
Follows is the form info:

Approximate Purchase Date: whenever. could be months away.

Budget Range: cheap, but not trash.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: file server for backup, media server, local jukebox, print server.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, case.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Parts Preferences: I currently have an AOpen MX46-533v mb that I got free and I just want to put it to use, so I need to know what cpu's are available for its Intel socket 478.
ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/manual/mb/mx46533v/mx46533v-ol-...
I have one 512 MB DDR PC2100 CL2.5 for the ram.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: what's that? Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: I also need to know if the USB on this mobo can be upgraded to 2.0 or if I need to buy a card for that.
This will be left on all the time, and the monitor and keyboard will be plugged in when needed, otherwise should be controlled over the LAN. I intend to build my own case with a custom built cooling system and mount it out of the way and out of sight. I would like to boot it/run it from an 8gig SD chip if possible rather than have a hard drive or even a CD drive. I have a CD drive that could be used temporarily.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
February 11, 2012 2:20:53 AM

Well, you will have to have a CPU to test the board.

Not all socket 478 Pentiums will work. Here is a good list:
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-AOpen/MX46-533V.html

Here is a guy selling a compatible used CPU for cheap
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-AOpen/MX46-533V.html

Really though I think you would be better off with some new hardware.

• Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model ...
  • ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    USB 3 is backwards compatible, onboard video.
  • Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G530
    TOTAL: $143.97
    a c 113 B Homebuilt system
    February 11, 2012 2:22:49 AM

Also, consider how hot that old tech will get. Pentium 4s are hot. New chips, less power and much cooler.
    Related resources
    February 11, 2012 2:22:55 AM

There are still alot of CPUs for that socket, just need to look on google for some - Intel Pentium 4s - http://www.starmicroinc.net/cgi/commerce.cgi?search=act... & Intel Celerons - http://www.starmicroinc.net/cgi/commerce.cgi?search=act...
    As far as the USB goes - its stuck at 1.1 unless you add a PCI USB 2.0 card - and for booting off of SD chips, the older the system is, the more limited booting options are, as some around the time of socket 478 don't support USB booting, let alone booting from a SD Card
    as for using this system as a file server, id suggest building one based off of AMDs Dual Core E-350, as socket 478 CPUs tend to run hot and use excess electricity, but that's my suggestion, and SLI / Crossfire - you don't need that for a server, unless you plan to game on it, but that's not possible with your current motherboard.
    For Software, I would suggest running Linux, or windows 7, depending on user preference.

Hope all this helps
    February 11, 2012 2:34:42 AM

The AMD E-350 or AMD A4 Series, as I mentioned earlier, would make a better server as they have a much lower power consumption rating 18w & 65w rather then 80w+ of which the highest clocked (3 GHz+) Intel Pentium 4 runs at & they support better tech, such as DDR3 (faster then DDR) & SATA 3.0 (much faster then both IDE/PATA and SATA 1.5 Combined), they are also cheap - at most $130 or so - AMD E-350/ Asus Motherboard or this system at $350 - HP Pavilion Desktop PC AMD Dual-Core Processor E-450(1.65GHz) 3GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 6320 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    !