Upgrade Dell OptiPlex 960

I currently use a Dell OptiPlex 960. Current specs are:

Core2 Quad QUAD, 9400/ 2.66GHz6M, 1333FSB
4GB,Non-ECC,800MHz DDR2 (2@2GB) Memory
256MB ATI RADEON HD 3450 Graphics dual DVI and VGA and TV Out
(2) 320GB 3.5 inch SATA 3.0Gb/s and 16MB RAID 1

Running XP Pro

I would like to know if I could just update the motherboard, memory and graphics to take advantage of the cheap DDR3 at the moment. I'm not looking for ultimate gaming machine. I run Adobe Creative Suite, Solidworks, Inventor, AutoCad all with no issues at all. With XP going away I'd like to go ahead and get Windows 7 64bit to take advantage of that as well.

Budget is cheap as possible as always, no more than $200-300. Thanks for any help! Oh and I'd rather buy from Newegg, but open to other places.
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrade dell optiplex
  1. monte79 said:
    I currently use a Dell OptiPlex 960. Current specs are:

Core2 Quad QUAD, 9400/ 2.66GHz6M, 1333FSB
    4GB,Non-ECC,800MHz DDR2 (2@2GB) Memory
    256MB ATI RADEON HD 3450 Graphics dual DVI and VGA and TV Out
    (2) 320GB 3.5 inch SATA 3.0Gb/s and 16MB RAID 1

Running XP Pro

I would like to know if I could just update the motherboard, memory and graphics to take advantage of the cheap DDR3 at the moment. I'm not looking for ultimate gaming machine. I run Adobe Creative Suite, Solidworks, Inventor, AutoCad all with no issues at all. With XP going away I'd like to go ahead and get Windows 7 64bit to take advantage of that as well.

Budget is cheap as possible as always, no more than $200-300. Thanks for any help! Oh and I'd rather buy from Newegg, but open to other places.

Dells tend to be built with plug & play in mind, not upgradeablity as they use non-standard motherboard layouts and positioning - so replacing the motherboard in most dells, is not possible, but adding in a graphics card is easy, just look for low profile cards, if your using the desktop or Small Form Factor model
  2. so, there is no ddr3 motherboard? That will fit the case? I just read somewhere that the board is possibly a BTX form factor.
  3. it is a standard form factor just look at the form factor in the current case and buy the same one.

T
  4. you mean basically take a look at the i/o panel and compare what I got? That's easy enough. Once I figure that out can you guys give me a recommendation?
  5. sure, if its a standards compliant mATX board - id go with MSI or Asus - they tend to be good on features and quality

Asus - ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    MSI - MSI G41M-P26 LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I highly suggest just buying or building a new computer - AMD tends to be excellent on low budgets, and most of their triple & quad cores are faster then the older Dual & Quad Core Core 2s, and socket 775 is getting hard to find, as its an older platform being discontinued by Intel.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Optiplex Dell Systems Product