Loris

Honorable
May 27, 2012
Hello,My computer monitor is just a blank screen after it showed" starting windows" but nothing happened. I tried starting in safe mode and rebooting but zilch. What is wrong? I had the hard disk replaced under warranty before.. Same problem. ACER computer with Win 7
I am retiree and clueless about IT and computers

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Do you have a video card installed or is monitor connected to the motherboard?

Could be a faulty Video card if so. I once had a HP pc and my video cards memory was faulty and after its memory was loaded to a certain point it would crash.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Please read his description. He spicifically states that starting in safe mode did not do anything.

please read his description more carefully--he didnt actually say it didnt start in safe mode ok or not

he said rebooting after safe mode did zilch

and if you are in a nit picking mood then its not spicifically--its specifically

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Sorry the "i" was a typo i wasnt thinking properly. But yea booting after safe mode did zilch for him so technically it did not help, meaning it did not do anything. Sorry anyway :??:

what i was getting at is if it went to the desktop in safe mode then its probably a software issue not a hardware one

but he didnt actually say whether it successfully reached the desktop in safe mode or not--just that rebooting after safe mode

didnt work

so f8 then last known good configuration or repair my computer would be what i would suggest trying

sorry if i was a bit sarcastic about the spelling--bad day

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Yea i guess your right.

Loris

Honorable
May 27, 2012

4 months after I bought the computer, the problem I mentioned before happened and since it was still under the warrranty, the
agent sent a guy to replace the hard disk at no charge....no explanations given.
I am afraid this time I'd have to cough up more than $100 if the agent comes again. I don't have a choice as I don't know what is wrong or how to rectify it.

You can easily check the health of your hard disk by downloading and running "HDTune" - http://www.hdtune.com/

Let us know what the results are. Look for HD Health, and for 're-allocated sectors count'

(This will have to be done on a different computer)

Pepsi7

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
hi, try this before testing the HDD:
after" starting windows" or @ blank screen do the following:
a)press caps lock on / off (or any of the three locks)---> see if it light gets on/ off on the keyboard.
b)press "Ctrl"+"Alt"+"Delete"--> see if u can reach to task manger.

let me know the result of these two.