Sign in with
Your question

Replacing 120mm fans in Antec 1200 case?

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2012 5:30:49 AM

Is anyone out there familiar with this process? Two of the front 120mm fans in my 1200 case are dead and I need to replace them. The problem is, I don't see where to disconnect the existing fans from. I've looked at the manual and the mechanical drawings and I can't figure it out. Do the wires trail back to molex connectors or what?
a c 96 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 6:11:10 AM

They have 3 or 4 pin connectors that get plugged into 4-pin Molex connectors, which in turn are plugged into the PSU.

Similar (may not be exact) to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Take the front panel off, then you will have access to the front fans. You can take the fan off and trace the wires and unplug the fans.
m
l
May 28, 2012 6:31:37 AM

i'm getting it figured out as we speak. the fans that i'm installing just have the 3 pin connectors that go directly into my motherboard so i'm ripping out the adjustor knobs on the stock fans as well. it is unfortunate that there isn't a modular way to do this so you can replace them on the fly, such as putting the connection point in the actual fan housing rather than deep inside of the case via molex connector.
m
l
a c 96 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 7:36:26 AM

kompulsive said:
i'm getting it figured out as we speak. the fans that i'm installing just have the 3 pin connectors that go directly into my motherboard so i'm ripping out the adjustor knobs on the stock fans as well. it is unfortunate that there isn't a modular way to do this so you can replace them on the fly, such as putting the connection point in the actual fan housing rather than deep inside of the case via molex connector.

The fan headers are provided on the motherboard so that you can control/monitor the speed via settings in the BIOS. Your manual will explain this in detail.

Alternately, you can connect the fans directly to the PSU via 4-pin Molex connectors. Multiple fans can be 'daisy-chained' and then plugged into a single 4-pin Molex connector.

Good luck!
m
l
!