New CPU causing problems

steelchampion

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hello everyone, I'm really hoping someone can help me here. I've recently upgraded my processor and am now experiencing some strange problems. Every now and then I will hear the sound as if something is being unplugged and plugged back in. I've tried watching Device Manager to see if I can catch anything but to no avail. I've tried using plug and play moniutor to see if that will catch anything, but oddly enough, that program closes every time it happens. Now, the main problem, is the fact that I am lagging horrendously in games - they are totally unplayable. What happens is after 1 second, it will lock up for 1 second. It is consistent and after locking up for 1 second, it will speed up to try and catch up, but then instantly lock up again. I have also experienced 3 BSOD's. 2 of which didn't state an error message, one of which was something along the lines of page fault in nonpaged area.

So, I've tried unplugging everything and putting it all back in, changing RAM timings, and of course watching the device manager, all to no avail.

I have not reformatted as I read around that changing the CPU does not need a clean install of windows but if anyone thinks it would help, then I will happily try it.

Oh, and my BIOS is AMI and 10% of the time when I turn on the PC, it will be just a constant beep (which I then googled, and it appears to be something to do with the RAM which is why I started fiddling with RAM timings) but if I turn the PC off then back on again, it won't beep - it's only happened about 3 times (upgraded processor on Saturday night)

Any help would be highly appreciated - I have 2 days off work and was hoping to get my game-face on with my new processor :D

Many thanks!

steelchampion

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Sorry, specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
RAM: 4GB RAM (800MHZ DDR2, 2x2GB, currently set to 4-4-4-12)
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

If you need any more, I can state, or I can copy-paste my whole dxdiag if needs be!

Cheers!

steelchampion

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Ok Nevermind, it's fixed. Stupidity on my behalf - didn't uninstall Dual Core optimizer when switching to quad core. Uninstalled and now seems to be running like a dream. I guess that's a lesson for everyone atleast :D