Sony DSC-P200 and Memory Stick speed

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
May 25, 2005 4:21:00 PM

Hello,

After searching for a portable camera to take fast pics of a newborn
baby, I decided on Sony DSC-P200. I decided on Sony because I own a
DSC-707, and 5 Memory Stick cards.

My question is: Will a Memory Stick compromise the potential speed
of the DSC-P200 camera? I'm reluctant to buy Memory Stick Pro cards
because I have 5 regular cards, and Memory Stick Pro is not compatable
with DSC 707. However, I also don't want to slow down P200 camera, as
those Kodak Moments are very important to me.

Or maybe Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro have no speed difference?
Please, help.

Thanks,
Elana
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 25, 2005 8:44:33 PM

>Will a Memory Stick compromise the potential speed
>of the DSC-P200 camera?

I think it is pretty safe to re-assure you that the problem of shutter
lag, which seems to be what you are referring to with regard to 'fast
pics', is *not* dependent on the memory card speed. The time it takes
to autofocus and fire will be unaffected, and if you use the half-press
method you should be fine. Shot-to-shot times may be a little slower,
but if you are shooting jpg I doubt it will be an issue.

There is a significant difference in speed between the two media, but
in real-life terms, I doubt you will see any major problem at all.
!