Will PCIe 3.0 in the X79 chipset mean we all need new cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyITR

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I'm just wondering if the new PCIe 3.0 slots in X79 motherboards will fit PCIe2.0 cards or will there be a whole new generation of cards with different connectors. Sorry if this seems like a novice question.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
One thing you should know, Danny, is that X79 is an enthusiast platform, made for people who are only willing to spend massive amounts of money on a computer. If you're happy to do that, sure, you should go with X79, but it's overpriced and in most cases a Z68 platform would be more than enough... What do you want to use it for? I am an enthusiast, but wouldn't go for an X79 system at the moment, because Ivy Bridge may come up with a much better chipset and better CPUs... What have you got at the moment, or is there any reason you'd go for an enthusiast system?

DannyITR

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I'm planning an eyefinity six monitor setup specifically to play Flight Simulator. Check out my thread in the motherboard section where I've outlined why I chose the P67 platform. Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if X79 was worth the wait but it does seem very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS