Closed Solved

Will PCIe 3.0 in the X79 chipset mean we all need new cards?

I'm just wondering if the new PCIe 3.0 slots in X79 motherboards will fit PCIe2.0 cards or will there be a whole new generation of cards with different connectors. Sorry if this seems like a novice question.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about will pcie chipset cards
  1. No the current cards will still fit the slots and are compatible!
  2. Best answer
    Nope. Just like you can use a 2.0 card in a 1.1 slot, you can use a 2.0 card in a 3.0 slot.
  3. Thanks!
  4. One thing you should know, Danny, is that X79 is an enthusiast platform, made for people who are only willing to spend massive amounts of money on a computer. If you're happy to do that, sure, you should go with X79, but it's overpriced and in most cases a Z68 platform would be more than enough... What do you want to use it for? I am an enthusiast, but wouldn't go for an X79 system at the moment, because Ivy Bridge may come up with a much better chipset and better CPUs... What have you got at the moment, or is there any reason you'd go for an enthusiast system?
  5. I'm planning an eyefinity six monitor setup specifically to play Flight Simulator. Check out my thread in the motherboard section where I've outlined why I chose the P67 platform. Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if X79 was worth the wait but it does seem very expensive.
  6. Best answer selected by DannyITR.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Chipsets Motherboards Graphics Product