Sign in with
Your question

Antec TP 650W PSU CAUGHT FIRE! PICS INCLUDED

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2012 11:57:35 AM

Hi guys,

I recently had an atm at overclocking, it failed I reset CMOS.

Then I had a rookie error and put my heatsink back on my i7 860 CPU, the comp crashed a couple of times and I worked out my stupid mistake.

Tonight, after getting some Arcticlean and applying new thermal compoud. I started up my computer to see if my baby would work again.

I could smell a burning smell as I had done in the previous weeks when using it (if it didn't crash that is)

THEN MY PSU CAUGHT FIRE.

Here is a pic! No jokes!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/sew340/IMG_2336....

Is there a chance all my other components are stuffed?
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 12:54:13 PM

The picture is of what cable?
m
l
May 28, 2012 12:56:39 PM

rolli59 said:
The picture is of what cable?

USB 2.0 cable that goes into the motherboard.
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 12:58:49 PM

That burned because it was touching the PSU?
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:00:19 PM

It wasn't touching the power supply. Not sure I understand your question?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 1:03:05 PM

norrisc86 said:
USB 2.0 cable that goes into the motherboard.

Thread title says psu caught fire
There's no USB 2.0 cable on an Antec TP
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:05:40 PM

Well there is a cable burnt!!!
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 1:08:19 PM

Ok it is not a PSU cable and if that is the only cable burned it was carrying to much power! Either connected wrong (consult your motherboard manual) or your motherboard is shot!

From your original post "THEN MY PSU CAUGHT FIRE"
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:09:50 PM

Hmm, I've had such rotten luck with computer lately (I'm no total noob but I have made some bad mistakes)

I am going to take this to a shop and have them deal with it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 1:12:00 PM

Antec PSU's aren't known to just catch fire. That's gotta be a motherboard problem.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 1:16:08 PM

norrisc86 said:
Hmm, I've had such rotten luck with computer lately (I'm no total noob but I have made some bad mistakes)

I am going to take this to a shop and have them deal with it.

If you provide the forum with more information you might be able to save the money and hassle of going to a shop
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:18:04 PM

So is my PSU now dead?

Is it possible my HDD, GPU and RAM are now fudged too?
m
l
May 28, 2012 1:20:05 PM

delluser1 said:
If you provide the forum with more information you might be able to save the money and hassle of going to a shop

What information do you require?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 1:25:44 PM

Specs are always nice
A wide angle picture, so we can see whats going on

You say it's a USB 2.0 cable, did you plug it into a Firewire header ?
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:06:58 PM

Okay guys,

My sytem in its entirity:

Mobo: Gigabyte P55 UD3 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...)

PSU: Antec TP 650W.

RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600mhz (8GB).

GPU: HIS HD 6970.

HDD: Caviar Black 500gb.

CPU: Intel i7 860 @2.93ghz (stock).

This motherboard, as far as I can tell does not have a firewire header.
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 2:17:38 PM

You are correct there, but what were you doing when the cable caught fire?
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:22:36 PM

I was watching my computer because previously it had been making an ozoney/burning smell and then it just started to make these almost spark like crackle n pop sounds then it melted and caught fire!
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 2:24:37 PM

Was there anything connected to the USB?
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:26:31 PM

Do you mean the USB 2.0 port in the motheboard or the front external? If front external (I have a Antec 600 case) yes just a wireless keyboard and mouse receiver.
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 2:27:52 PM

I mean the cable that burned!
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:30:24 PM

Nope. Everything was connected as normal.

Is it possible my failed overclocking attempts damaged my psu to the point where the integrity of the wires were ruined?
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 2:33:37 PM

Why do you keep saying PSU there is no USB on a PSU!
More likely that your motherboard got damaged since it is the one that distributes the power from the PSU! Can you post picture of both ends of the cable where it was connected and where it goes to?
m
l
May 28, 2012 2:48:32 PM

norrisc86 said:
I could smell a burning smell as I had done in the previous weeks when using it

I hope you're not planning on a career in aviation ;) 
m
l
a c 1176 ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 5:44:21 PM

rolli59 said:
Why do you keep saying PSU there is no USB on a PSU!
More likely that your motherboard got damaged since it is the one that distributes the power from the PSU! Can you post picture of both ends of the cable where it was connected and where it goes to?

Unless you own a GIGABYTE ODIN GT that has a USB Data Connector for monitoring wattage, temperature and fan speed.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 8:45:08 PM

pdxalex said:
I hope you're not planning on a career in aviation ;) 

Hi :) 

Or as an electrician..

I know I am biased here as I own computer shops, but take it to one to get the damage assessed....it should only cost you a half hours labour...

Purely as a guess. you have blown the mobo, possibly cpu/ram and almost certainly the psu as well...:( 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
May 29, 2012 12:11:19 AM

Hi guys,

Sorry for not understanding last night. The melted cable in question is the +5v cable.

Can I test my HDD, RAM and GPU in another computer or is there a chance they could damage another computer?

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
May 29, 2012 12:23:47 AM

norrisc86 said:
Hi guys,

Sorry for not understanding last night. The melted cable in question is the +5v cable.

Can I test my HDD, RAM and GPU in another computer or is there a chance they could damage another computer?

What does that mean ?
5v wire on the USB cable ?
5v wire on a Molex strand
Did you unplug the burned cable ?
Have you tried starting your system with said cable unplugged ?

You have to be a little more detailed with the info
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
May 29, 2012 12:48:06 AM

You're doing something wrong....
m
l
May 29, 2012 12:53:43 AM

Yes the 5v wire on the usb cable.

I have unplugged the cable just so I could see what it was.

I am not game enough to start the system without the cable .

Looking at the motherboard manual, the cable was previously plugged into the speaker plugs on the mothboard. However, the cable is a 4 pin but it is coloured red, white and green.

My understanding is I have put the pin in the wrong place!!! My Mobo manual states speaker is orange, the reset switch is green and the power switch is red.

However,

In the past when I have put these cables in the wrong places, the system refused to start.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2012 12:59:03 AM

I'd love to help but I just don't understand what's going on here, and I have a feeling I'm not alone.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:05:30 AM

It's the cable that goes from your computer start on button to the front panel header. It has melted right through. It also melted onto my gpu!!!
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 29, 2012 1:32:16 AM

PSU on fire!
USB cable burnt!
Front panel cable burnt after being connected to the speaker header!
ALL STOP!!!!
Take it to a shop get it fixed and DO NOT mess with it again!
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:47:13 AM

rolli59 said:
PSU on fire!
USB cable burnt!
Front panel cable burnt after being connected to the speaker header!
ALL STOP!!!!
Take it to a shop get it fixed and DO NOT mess with it again!

Rollie59,

My apologies that I am not a computer god like yourself. If my lack of knowledge has offended/annoyed you, you did not have to keep helping me.

However, thank you for helping me find the root cause of my problem. During this I have learnt alot about my computer.
m
l
a c 701 ) Power supply
May 29, 2012 2:00:26 AM

norrisc86 said:
Rollie59,

My apologies that I am not a computer god like yourself. If my lack of knowledge has offended/annoyed you, you did not have to keep helping me.

However, thank you for helping me find the root cause of my problem. During this I have learnt alot about my computer.

It is not offending, if you can not feed us the correct information then we are helpless to help you and the best thing you can do is take it to the shop.
Previously I posted a link to our trouble shooting guide and build guides inclusive of step by step guide building with pictures http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-g... It is as well important to use your user manual to identify connectors, trial and error is going to hurt the wallet (as you will most likely find out). Assembling a computer is really simple like the guide shows, the hard part is when something goes wrong and trouble shooting begins.
Looks like you found your problem in the end though with the speaker connection, since that happened you might be looking at a new motherboard so based on this session I think it is best that you take it to the store!
m
l
!