Adding a Radoen 7770 to a Dell Inspiron 530

jonners

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi

Just received my new GPU, a Radeon 7770 card. It has a power cable, this was unexpected as the old card just sites on the motherboard.

I cannot see any spare cables from the PSU to use. There is one that comes off the DVD drive, but it does not reach the GPU socket.

Also, the GPU can take double the pins (6 instead of 3 I think) of what my spare plug has.

Can I just get a 3 pin extension to add it on?

I may wait as a new PC is arriving in the next week or so, so may be better off putting it in there.,

In order to use that graphics card, you need a new PSU which has 6-2 pins PCI-e power cord. This is not to be confused with the 6-2 pin power cord for powering some motherboards. The Dell uses 4-pins power cord for this.

If you choose to go with the CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2, three mounting screws will fit without a problem. The fourth screw will be too short because the PSU power plug interferes with the computer case. This is not a problem. I run mine with three mounting screws.

However, if you insist on 4 screws, the fourth screw must be slightly longer than the rest (1/8" longer) - they look like #6 screws to me, but please verify.

Another option is the Antec 400 watts PSU. Fits fine, mounts fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371029

jonners

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Sorry, cannot follow that advice. I have already ordered a "Modular 450W Quiet 80+ Dual Rail High Efficiency Power Supply" which comes with the Mesh Elite 3450 I have on order.

I ordered the Radeon 7770 with the hope of using it in the Dell while waiting for the Mesh. Dabs.com took a bit longer than I hoped sending it though so i only got it today. Should have the Mesh in about 1 week I think.

So I will wait I think. Too much hassle for a few days of better play. Jon must be patient!

Although if it was possible to pick up a £3 power adaptor from Maplin tomorrow, I could ....

Wait until you receive the PSU - they come with a lot of cables. After you get it in your hands, decide what additional cable(s) you need. You may not need any more cables.

Yes, Jon must be patient! (All things cometh to he that waiteth; provided he that waiteth, worketh like hell while he waiteth!)

jonners

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I know the new PC will have the right cable because it actually comes with a 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD7750 (I have ordered without the GPU so I can put mine in).

Just was hoping to start playing with my new card before the new PC arrives. Not worth the trouble though!

jonners

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I asked Mesh today: "I assume that in new PCs there is a spare power cable in the box specifically for hooking up the graphics card?"

and they replied: "There should be a spare power cable in the case chassis."

Hopefully that means that there will be a cable to plug in. I would be shocked if there was not (but then I do shock easily!)

jonners

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Does that mean it does not need a power cable? Or that it will blow up if I put the card in? Does not matter, not putting the card in now anyway!

Cards that need more than 75 watts will need supplemental power via a 6-pin PCIe power cable plugged into the PSU. If not, the Dell motherboard will supply up to 75 watts via the PCIe slot.

This is stated on the motherboard next to the PCIe slot.