CPU getting too hot and PC shutting down

the123guy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
My computer started turning off inexplicably about 2-3 weeks ago. I finally sat down today to figure out why this is happening and it seems to be the CPU getting too hot; temperature keeps climbing until it reaches about 90 Celsius and shuts off. The computer worked fine for a while and then it started doing this. I did change the CPU some time ago but that I don't believe that would be the cause of it.

Currently my specs are:
* Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz (not OC)
* Biostar TA785G3 785G
* Antec Earthwatts 380W

Previously there was an Athlon II X3 installed.

the123guy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
* Yea I applied new thermal paste (if I'm not mistaken I drew an "X" and seated the cooler on top) after I cleaned as thoroughly as possible with isopropyl alcohol.
* I'll double check on the cooler properly seated but I'm pretty sure it is.
* The fan is running, only I'm not sure if it's spinning in the right direction. Is the CPU fan suppose to be blowing out air or pulling it in?

the123guy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Yea it's blowing air onto the heatsink. I thought it was other way around since the case fan is blowing air out and would help pull heat from CPU.

It looks like it was the cooler not seated properly. I remember when I was installing the new CPU I couldn't get the arm to lock so I stopped to prevent from breaking it; turns out I was suppose to lock it to the other side :p

The arm has to be locked otherwise it will not create correct contact!

These are aftermaket heatsinks that do this. I assumed he was using a stock HSF. Since aftermarkets are usually a tall standup design there is room on either side of them for air to travel through the heatsink, which yes is correct. On the stock cooler that comes with your CPU you would want the fan to pull air away from the heatsink.

Hrm, perplexing. I may have been confused or something. Maybe I was mixed up with tubed side vent designs, or is that just to get cooler air towards the fan? I always thought the goal was to get the hot air out of the system, not blow it back towards the CPU. I guess that's why we use aftermarket designs and the stock solution is more often than not insufficient. Well I'm sorry Rolli, and OP, I will "sit down and shut up" now ;) :D .

arkangel11004

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

You may have been correct. I would imagine that the cpu coolers goal is to get cool air towards the processor, while the main case fan is designed to pull the resulting hot air out. If there is a main case fan, mind you. My Dell's power supply has its own fan, of course, but the only other fan (excepting video card) is on my processor. This fan does as Rolli mentioned above, and pushes air in, not out. So I don't know. Your probably both right in the cases that you have seen. Trying to play peacemaker I suppose. :lol::ange: