Nvidia GeForce 240 lagging in games

HermitBird

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,
My little brother recently built his own simple gaming rig, with the following components:

Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1024m DDR3
AMD Phenom IIx2
2g DDR3 ram
Windows XP 32 bit
450w power supply

Now the problem he's having is that any game he plays, be it tf2, Killing floor, even things like simple flash games on the internet, occasionally the frame-rate will drop to -10 FPS. We've tried anything that comes to mind, conducting virus scans, cleaning up processes, and whatever else may be causing it, but the problem persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:
Thank you for all the information, everyone! I would like to add though, we have considered the possibility of the outdated OS bogging it down, and we plan on upgrading to Windows 7 64 bit. Another thing, in any game the computer runs, even things like Dead Space, the framerate usually stays above ~80 FPS on mid-high settings. We have also taken shortage of ram into account. The hard-drive is a 7,200 RPM, 1TB drive and fares nicely. After checking, it seems that all the drivers are still up to date.

Whenever it happens, it seems to be framerate only, but maybe it could be CPU.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Hmm..... could be a driver issue here. Go to NVidia's website and download the latest non-beta drivers.

Part of the issue is that you are still using (geck!) Windows XP on his system. I would strong recommend upgrading to Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit (if possible for the latter), which has better resource utilization and can wring some speed increases out of even an older system.

The 2GB's of memory shouldn't be an issue. Most games don't advise needing (even recommended) right now anymore than 2GB's of memory.

Lastly, go download a program called DriverMax. It could be that you don't have the latest drivers for other stuff (motherboard equipment especially), this program is a godsend for figuring that out.

what are you talking about? TF2 is source game, it's an old engine which even old 8600 GT could max out. It's definitelly either a driver issue, or something is running in the background that you don't know about. I'd actually suggest reintalling since it's the easiest fix.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I would think Hard Drive, (old, slow or on its last breath) you not trying to play game from external usb are you?
Also you should check your cpu usage, there could be sometime on PC that uses CPU when it not suppose (bad programs, viruses, malware) bad process that try to use CPU while you gaming will bring performance to its knees.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Lots of bad info being tossed around.

The reason he's seeing low frames is he has a dual core and an entry level GPU. That's passable for dx9 games, but he probably needs to turn the settings down. If a game still runs poorly on the lowest settings, and the cpu and gpu usage are high, lower the resolution.

But as an FYI, TF2 runs like garbage. On everyone's systems.

How does tf2 run like garbage on everyone's system? It runs perfectly fine on a system with mid-high end system specs. Its always 60+fps for me with all settings maxed.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

It has massive frame dips. Drops to ~30fps on my system during huge fire fights. It's not just me and I don't get it in any other Source engine game. All my TF2 friends say the same thing. And it's the only game I've ever seen that runs worse in crossfire than with a single card.

Hm thats weird, even with huge firefights it never does that to me :ouch:

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

It runs equally well (or unwell) on my Athlon x4 @3.4Ghz w/ 5670 or w/ 5850 as it does on my i5-2500k @4.4Ghz w/ 5850 (crossfire runs worse). Maybe AMD GPUs run worse in that game, but I have Steam friends (some with nVidia GPUs) who said they have the same problem. So it may not be a hard game to run, but in my experience it has its issues. As reference, Portal 2 and CS:Source don't drop below 200fps. I honestly think it's because the engine renders all those hat models and explosions at full texture, even if they're across the map and behind walls, but I can't say for sure.