Sign in with
Your question
Closed

60gb SSD for cache + 2 hdd in raid 0 for OS +

Last response: in Systems
February 11, 2012 5:53:25 PM

Looking to upgrade economically, question I have comes to the harddrive set up.

ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I2500K
8GB ram
GTX560Ti
Win 7 64

I already have 2 250gb Sata II drives I would like to use for OS and games/apps. and would like to set up in Raid 0

I wanted to get a SSD and use SRT for cache. (Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this doable and recommended?
2-250's in Raid setup on Sata 3Gb/s ports Raid assuming
SSD on Sata 6Gb/s port AHCI assuming

If so, best way for fresh install? Hook them all up and go? Get raid setup, windows installed, then put the SSD in?
I have not seen the Bios just yet, but assuming there is an option for each controller to set up separately. Knowing the SSD has to be set to AHCI.

Alternatively I have a 74GB WD Raptor (10k rpm) I could just use and skip the Raid 0 setup.

Just looking for best/fastest/less of a headache setup, thanks

Quick mobo spec that may be needed to answer

2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions (SATA3_1 connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
February 11, 2012 5:59:40 PM

You try to raid and it will want all the drives (SSD+Hdd) on the 0. Why not use the SSD for the boot drive and critical software and then just use the two 250s for storage? BTW: are the existing SSD's Sata? 1/2/3? speed? They may hinder performance.
February 11, 2012 6:17:25 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

And I have thought about your idea of using the SSD for the boot drive. Ideas is why I am here, and if mine would make sense. I have thought about a lot of combinations, lol. Even trying to sell the 2 250's for like 30 bucks or so so I can get a larger SSD and just use for all files
This is mostly my gaming rig, that and surfing the web.
My other PC has 3TB, plus, and I have a 360GB passport.

your 2nd question
Sata II 1.5Gb/s on the hd speed.

Same as the WD Raptor I believe.
Related resources
February 11, 2012 6:37:38 PM

The SSD along won't meet storge needs and running an SSD for games won't do anything except improve the load time. Us the SSD for boot + A/V and other key programs and get a decent Hdd (320gb is fine) 7200rpm. For storage and gaming access the Sata II would work ok assuming its 7200rpm.
February 11, 2012 7:25:14 PM

SSD for your OS boot drive, use a single larger SATA drive for your programs and data. Don't run RAID, there is no good reason for it on a home or gaming PC.

Best solution

February 11, 2012 8:59:49 PM

The main value of a ssd is random i/o, 50x faster than a hard drive. That is what the os does most.

The main value of raid-0 is overlapped sequential i/o. You might get 2x if your app does that, like synthetic benchmarks, but most of the time, there is no real value in raid-0.
For sequential operations, a ssd is 2x faster than a hard drive, or 3x if you can use 6gb sata.

Your option to sell your old hard drives to be able to increase the ssd size is a good one. Hard drive prices are high now. You might keep one for overflow storage if all of your data will not fit on one ssd.

Avoiding raid is definitely a headache reducer.
February 11, 2012 11:09:16 PM

Thanks for talking some sense there.
February 22, 2012 11:58:10 PM

Ok, still waiting for a few more parts to complete my build.
I did go with a larger SSD as recommended. And thanks again!

Wanted to add, in the meantime built a budget machine for the ladies mom.
They didn't even really want to go the SSD way for cost reasons.
But I talked them into a 60G Corsair and set it up for SRT.

I haven't used the pc, other than the windows install.
But windows fully loads from post in 12 seconds! whoa!, lol
Cant wait until I get mine set up.

Her ram or mobo has issues tho, ram defaults to like 1.2 volts, and takes a few reboots for bios to finally say, ok, Ill change it to what you want it to. And it wont run it at the rated 1600 speed for the life. And only 1 stick "normally" only works, and in only 1 of 4 slots. but sometimes both sticks works.
Its a headache, and for another thread.
February 23, 2012 2:08:25 AM

psc777 said:
Ok, still waiting for a few more parts to complete my build.
I did go with a larger SSD as recommended. And thanks again!

Wanted to add, in the meantime built a budget machine for the ladies mom.
They didn't even really want to go the SSD way for cost reasons.
But I talked them into a 60G Corsair and set it up for SRT.

I haven't used the pc, other than the windows install.
But windows fully loads from post in 12 seconds! whoa!, lol
Cant wait until I get mine set up.

Her ram or mobo has issues tho, ram defaults to like 1.2 volts, and takes a few reboots for bios to finally say, ok, Ill change it to what you want it to. And it wont run it at the rated 1600 speed for the life. And only 1 stick "normally" only works, and in only 1 of 4 slots. but sometimes both sticks works.
Its a headache, and for another thread.

The main thing with ram, assuming the cpu is a sandy bridge, is to get it to work, at any speed.
1600 ram is normally slower ram that can be overclocked, with more voltage to run at 1600.
Sandy bridge is insensitive to ram speeds.
Test your ram with memtest86+(get the latest version for sb)
February 29, 2012 11:47:01 PM

New build is up and running!

Flawless! not one issue, everything I got worked like a charm!

The 120 OCZ SSD is pretty dang fast! I never imagined, lol. Simply amazing.

Dropped all the parts in, changed the i2500k multiplier to 43, ram to XMP and went gaming! (of course after OS/drivers)
Did not change any voltage or other OC settings, I have heard many had no issues with 4300Mhz at default voltages.
I am one of them. Cant see much gain at this point, adding another 500Mhz. Its more than enough.

I am assuming once we get the returned ram and new stuff that I got, her system will be the same (same build)
March 11, 2012 5:44:15 AM

Best answer selected by psc777.
!