Sign in with
Your question

Confusion: mobo w/ USB 3.0, but case w/ or w/o?

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2012 3:22:12 PM

So I'm getting this Gigabyte Z77-D3H motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It has 4 USB 3.0 rear ports and 1 internal header which I understand can be used to attach 2 more USB 3.0 ports (to the front panel of the case I assume). I haven't decided on a case yet, but I know I want to have 2 separate USB 3.0 ports on the front.

So if I buy a case with USB 3.0 on the front, it's only a matter of connecting the cable that comes with the case to the header on the mobo, right? But let's say I have my sights set on a case w/o any front USB or only USB 2.0... can I just buy a separate header panel for USB 3.0 and connect that to the mobo? I've read posts here where people mention they connect an add-on panel for the front ports and wire it from the rear ports? Huh? Why? I don't get it.

Is there something I'm missing... I mean, do most people buy cases w/ USB 2.0 front ports and then switch them out w/ USB 3.0 because it's cheaper? Why are there are 524 cases on Newegg and only 13 of them are Mid Towers with USB 3.0?

Thanks.
May 28, 2012 3:59:25 PM

Just buy a 3.5" or 5.25" card reader with USB 3 on it.
People link the stuff to the back of the case because they havn't got internal headers, ur not missing anything and I don't really get the question, there isn't anything not to 'get'. Newegg only stocks 13 cases with USB3 on them because USB3 is new and not fully taken up yet by everyone.
m
l
May 28, 2012 4:05:39 PM

Robi_g said:
Just buy a 3.5" or 5.25" card reader with USB 3 on it.
People link the stuff to the back of the case because they havn't got internal headers, ur not missing anything and I don't really get the question, there isn't anything not to 'get'. Newegg only stocks 13 cases with USB3 on them because USB3 is new and not fully taken up yet by everyone.

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by card reader... can you link to an example on Newegg please? Do you mean panel? What cards? Like SD? I just need USB 3.0.

I meant that despite the fact that almost every available recent motherboard I researched to buy has some sort of internal USB 3.0 header, there are not as many cases being sold with USB 3.0 already built in to the front as I would have expected.
m
l
Related resources
May 28, 2012 4:17:51 PM

Scraniel said:
I've read posts here where people mention they connect an add-on panel for the front ports and wire it from the rear ports? Huh? Why? I don't get it.

If my board / case only had rear USB3 ports, I would do the same (ie add front USB3 panel and wire from rear) simply due to accessibility so I could plug in my USB3 external drives.

You're not missing anything, over time more cases will become available with front USB3 ports.
m
l
May 28, 2012 4:25:59 PM

pdxalex said:
If my board / case only had rear USB3 ports, I would do the same (ie add front USB3 panel and wire from rear) simply due to accessibility so I could plug in my USB3 external drives.

You're not missing anything, over time more cases will become available with front USB3 ports.

I perfectly understand the accessibility issue, but why use up your rear ports by routing them to the front when you have an internal header for which you could add 2 new *extra* ports? I mean, suppose you were using all rear ports for other peripherals.

Anyway, if I am not mistaken, I can just either buy:
1. a case with no USB 3.0 front ports + add-on panel connected to the front (by popping out the plastic rectangle on the front of the case)
2. a case with USB 3.0 front ports which just need to be attached inside to the onboard header and voila!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2012 4:33:59 PM

you can replace the original io ports depending on the case manufacturer

i upgraded my silverstone raven rv02 from usb 2.0 to usb 3.0 for under £10 for the ports and cables with this

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-i-o-port-usb...

comes complete with all cables even though it doesnt show them

m
l
!