tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hello,
I want to start off by thanking everybody on this forum. It's helped me out numerous times. here are some specs

890FXA-GD70 motherboard
AMD FX-6100 hexcore processor
WD 1tb hard drive
4x4gig Corsair Vengeance RAM cards (1600Mhz)
PNY GT 520 video card
Raidmax Viper case (with 500W power supply)

I installed everything and turned it on but got an "FF" code on the motherboard with no video out. The mouse has power running to it as does my keyboard, all the fans and LED lights on the case turn on as well. I tried taking RAM out and trying it in subsequent slots, re-setting the CPU, replacing the graphics card with another of the same model, re-connecting all of the power cords to no avail.

Am i at the point where i should replace the board? is the graphics card incompatible with my mobo?

This is my first time building a PC from scratch so any information i can get to AT LEAST get video to show up would be extremely helpful

Thank you

Solution
tarot...the problem with all mb and hardware is when a part comes out it may need a bios update three weeks latter becuase amd or intel has a new cpu. as you can see in the guild book for the mb there is a long list of cpu that the stock mb bios will boot from. a few things that would help builders and stores that people should push back on the vendors is putting a bios lable on the side of the mb box. if it an older bios then people would know there they have to have an older cpu to boot and flash or have the store update the bios for you. start using a bios flash back system like the new asus boards do. you dont need ram or cpu in the mb to flash it.

tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I went through the steps you gave me (thank you) and i'm back at square one. How can i tell if i shorted out the board? all the fans run perfectly and the power buttons etc. work. i just can't get any video

Did you use the stand-offs provided to install the motherboard in the case?

If your answer is yes, then the next item to check is the integrity of the PSU. Just because the fans are running doesn't mean that the PSU is delivering the full rated power in watts (Amps).

The first order of business is to try out the setup using another known good PSU.

If it still fails to run, then it is the motherboard. Also check for beep codes during startup.

tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I dont have another PSU unfortunately as the one i do have came with the case. According to the MOBO, its making all of its power checks (as in, phase 4 boot process etc.) I do have the speaker installed and im not getting any beeps at all. should this be cause for concern

During startup you will get a single beep if the computer POSTs. If not, there will be a sequence of beeps and this can be deciphered by the motherboard manufacturer's beep codes.As a general rule, PSUs that come along with the case are not high quality PSUs. This could be part of the problem. Then there always is the possibility of a bad motherboard.

That is why another spare good PSU must be installed in order to eliminate the PSU as the source of the problem.

Stand-offs or integrated metal bosses in lieu of stand-offs must be used to install the motherboard in the computer case.

The GT 520 takes 28 watts at peak load. The 350 watts PSU will work well for this setup.

tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
im going down to where i got the mobo (frys) and exchanging it for one with integrated graphics so i can at least SEE what i'm doing on a monitor. I'll keep you informed

tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
>smorizio "with these mb they wont post new cpu intill you update the cpu code in the bios. you need someone with and older cpu or the computer store to put an older cpu in the mb and then flashing the bios."

I agree, except it was advertised as compatible with my equipment, so i was troubleshooting everything. i eventually ended up taking it to their service department and having them work on it. And since i went through the exchange process over three days and more than that many parts (Motherboard, videocard, etc.) they were more than happy to install the basic components for me for free. They were talking about flashing the bios when i left and after they tried 2 more CPUs and 3 comparable boards

tarot...the problem with all mb and hardware is when a part comes out it may need a bios update three weeks latter becuase amd or intel has a new cpu. as you can see in the guild book for the mb there is a long list of cpu that the stock mb bios will boot from. a few things that would help builders and stores that people should push back on the vendors is putting a bios lable on the side of the mb box. if it an older bios then people would know there they have to have an older cpu to boot and flash or have the store update the bios for you. start using a bios flash back system like the new asus boards do. you dont need ram or cpu in the mb to flash it.

Solution

tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
They did have to flash the BIOS (which i would not have been able to do myself) got it home, powers on and i get video. However i cannot get into the BIOS screen. It keeps asking me to find a bootable device. I have the optical drive on there and inserted a burned Ubuntu disk to boot from after the drivers disk that came with the MOBO didnt boot. What am i doing wrong?

most new mb post real fast you have to hit the del or f key as soon as you power on. also check that your keyboard has power if it a usb keyboard. as the store must of booted the pc from a usb stick or drive they may have changed a setting in the bios. and the mb is not timming out. i would use the clear cmos button or jumper.

tarot_15

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Got into the BIOS, you were right, you have to hit DEL right as it's booting up to get into the BIOS. Now all i have to do is try a monitor that doesnt give me a "recommand 1240x1020" error when i try to boot my ubuntu install disk