Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which graphics card to buy

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 13, 2011 3:02:56 AM

I have a PC with
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel DG33BU Motherboard.
I use a 32" Panasonic TV as a display which I run at 1378x768, This is best that TV supports via VGA input.

I need a graphics card to play games. Especially for battlefield 3. What graphics card should I buy, which may also last for few years and does not get outdated. If required I am willing to increase my budget also. But i want to be as economical as possible.

actually I am not certain, how much should I spend. I don't want to spend on buying some hardware which will never be utilized to 100% by me. So would like if someone helped me with what will be an appropriate budget for someone who need to play games during weekends.

Some basic confusions in my mind are

DDR3 vs DDR5.
GPU clock vs memory.
Cuda Cores vs GPU Clock (GeForce GTX 460 Vs GeForce GTX 550 Ti)

More about : graphics card buy

a c 81 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
December 13, 2011 3:24:48 AM

does your motherboard support pcie 2.0? if yes...
at your res. anything over a 5770/6770 could be overkill. for future proofing you could go for a higher end card but that's gonna cost more. or you can wait for the new 28 nm cards that will come out in the next few months - they're rumored to be more futureproof dspite being costlier than current cards.
what is your budget?
what are the ampere ratings on your psu's +12v rail(s)?
which website will you buy from?
for gfx cards, gddr5 is always better than ddr3 or ddr5(i assume you wanted to mean gddr5).
get a gfx card with at least 1 gb gddr5 vram with a good gpu.
for bf3, a radeon hd 5770/6770 to nvidia gtx 560ti - whichever you like. your case should be able to fit the card, has to have good airflow inside itself.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 3:32:48 AM

hi
Just buy HD 6950, and flash it to Hd 6970 for free :D 
It cost around 200$, but i was the speed of a Gtx 570, except about 100$ cheaper
m
0
l
Related resources
December 13, 2011 3:49:07 AM

de5_Roy said:
does your motherboard support pcie 2.0? if yes...
at your res. anything over a 5770/6770 could be overkill. for future proofing you could go for a higher end card but that's gonna cost more. or you can wait for the new 28 nm cards that will come out in the next few months - they're rumored to be more futureproof dspite being costlier than current cards.
what is your budget?
what are the ampere ratings on your psu's +12v rail(s)?
which website will you buy from?
for gfx cards, gddr5 is always better than ddr3 or ddr5(i assume you wanted to mean gddr5).
get a gfx card with at least 1 gb gddr5 vram with a good gpu.
for bf3, a radeon hd 5770/6770 to nvidia gtx 560ti - whichever you like. your case should be able to fit the card, has to have good airflow inside itself.


thanks de5_roy !

My motherboard specs does not say PCIE 2.0. But what I know is that PCIE 2.0 has backward compatibility with 1.0. So that must not be an issue.

I am looking for a card in something around $150.

I don't exactly know ampere ratings on my psu, will check that next time I am home.

Well I have never bought graphics card online. Actually I live in India, so I was planning to buy from any Indian website.( Depreciation of Rupees against dollars in past few months has made it difficult for us Indians to buy stuff from US :)  but still would love to know what websites are preferred for buying computer hardware ) so can you suggest where should I buy it from. Suggest some websites with international shipping.
m
0
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
December 13, 2011 3:51:03 AM

mphhot2 said:
hi
Just buy HD 6950, and flash it to Hd 6970 for free :D 
It cost around 200$, but i was the speed of a Gtx 570, except about 100$ cheaper

Can't do it anymore. Amd changed all of the pcb versions, rarely any of them flash and for the ones that already do you can get a 570 for that price. Its just simply not worth it for an underclocked 6970's and the potential of your card frying/failing to flash.
m
0
l
a c 81 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
December 13, 2011 4:24:19 AM

according to intel's website your motherboard should support pcie 2.0, pls make sure of that when you go home.
the amps rating is important because most of modern components of pc i.e. cpu, hdd, gfx cards use the +12v rail. if your psu has inadequate current on that rail, your system could face instability, poor performance and potential damage.
for around $150.. i am guessing that's nearly 8000 in INR, you can get from radeon hd 6670 1gb gddr5 (around $90) to sapphire radeon hd 6850 1 gb gddr5 (newegg price $144, check with your local store). looks like radeon hd 6850 is the max you can go. hd 6850 is the most powerful card with a single pcie power supply. other choices are radeon hd 5770/6770, hd 6790, 6750.
prices vary widely in different locations.
radeon hd 6950 will be overkill and way over budget. also, amd laser-cut the recent 6950 gpus, making it impossible to flash them to 6970 specs.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 5:38:55 AM

s4k3t- Kinda depends on which core 2 quad you have as to what exactly your bottleneck point would be but de5_roy has it right. Check your PSU but I think a 6770 (or a 5770 which is the same thing) at a reasonable price will do great at your resolution. Or if you like NVIDIA then a 550ti would do nicely also.

But you really must check your power supply to make sure it can handle your prospective card.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 1:42:49 PM

at ur current resolution, a 5770/6770 is more than enough. according to tom's hardware a radeon hd 5770 hits 38 fps average on high at 1680 x 1050 res withou aa enabled. at ur current resolution, it will plenty much...might hit over 50 fps on average. so no worries. but if u r corncerned about more future proof go for 6870 if u have enough psu.
m
0
l
December 13, 2011 2:31:41 PM

thanks everyone, I think I got good idea what should I be looking for. Just a final question. though I have read many places that both Nvidia and AMD are same. But I would like to clarify one weird thing that I read somewhere, Is it that GeForce give better performance with Intel PC compared to Radeon's ?

Also, I just checked my PSU for power and it mentions 17A for +12V. Will that be sufficient ?
m
0
l
a c 81 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
December 13, 2011 2:59:17 PM

s4k3t said:
thanks everyone, I think I got good idea what should I be looking for. Just a final question. though I have read many places that both Nvidia and AMD are same. But I would like to clarify one weird thing that I read somewhere, Is it that GeForce give better performance with Intel PC compared to Radeon's ?

Also, I just checked my PSU for power and it mentions 17A for +12V. Will that be sufficient ?

your amps rating is way too low for a radeon hd 6850. i'd say it's too low for 5770/6770.
buy a better, newer, 80+ rated psu with 550+ watts and 30-40 amps on +12v rail. i hope someone else can help you with this.
both amd and nvidia perform well with both amd and intel cpus. gpu performance depends on how much gfx load is put on it, then cpu. sometimes a good dual core can utilize a gfx card better than an old quad core (sandy bridge core i3 vs amd phenom ii x4 920). it depends on various factors.
m
0
l
!