Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inte HD graphics

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 28, 2012 5:01:19 PM

I have been reading up for a new gaming comp I want to build. I read the article here, "Core i5-3570K, -3550, -3550S, And -3570T: Ivy Bridge Efficiency ". What does the Intel HD graphics 2500 and 4000 mean on these cpus??? Is that built in graphics or what???

More about : inte graphics

May 28, 2012 5:07:09 PM

The highest the number the better the integrated graphics. If you want to play any serious gaming i recommend getting a discrete card
m
0
l
May 28, 2012 5:11:31 PM

runfox said:
What does the Intel HD graphics 2500 and 4000 mean on these cpus??? Is that built in graphics or what???


Yup, built in graphics. I'm using Intel HD Graphics 1000, and can do anything except for 3D gaming.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 473 à CPUs
May 28, 2012 5:14:41 PM

Yeah, the Intel HD 2500 and HD 4000 are integrated graphics. The HD 2000 is probably around 30% - 40% slower than a Radeon HD 5450 desktop graphic card. The HD 4000 is close to the performance of Radeon HD 5550 / HD 6450 desktop graphic card.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 1:36:05 AM

Ok so its integrated graphics. Then my next question would be why??? What does integrated graphics do for you when your going to use a graphics card anyway?? I have used AMD CPU's in the past, so integrated graphics is a new concept to me.

Right now I'm looking at a new high speed computer build, and my most important two choices of course are CPU and Graphics card. My choice so far is , CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000, and Graphics card: EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. The rest of the build is in progress , and not certain yet.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 1:40:17 AM

it is for non gaming peoplr AKA your mom lol. Just want to e-mail surf the web and play facebook games and in that case even the 1000 is fine... Not for enthusiast at all.. although I think it does play apart in the new transcoding Intel touts as a feature.

Thent
m
0
l
a c 124 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 2:11:12 AM

runfox said:
Then my next question would be why??? What does integrated graphics do for you when your going to use a graphics card anyway?? I have used AMD CPU's in the past, so integrated graphics is a new concept to me.

AMD is moving towards putting IGPs in all their CPUs as well. Half their current CPUs are branded "APUs" which are hybrid CPU+GPU.

Intel's QuickSync uses the IGP for video decoding/encoding and on HD4000, QuickSync transcode is 2-3X faster than the next fastest thing available on PC including GPU acceleration.

There is also a possibility that IGPs can be used for heterogeneous computing, which is more or less what VirtuMVP does: use the IGP to pre-process 3D scenes before sending them to the GPU for rendering in order to reduce the amount of over-drawing.
m
0
l
May 29, 2012 3:00:53 AM

if youre gonna use you own anyways, you dont have to worry about intel hd. if not, then make sure you get one with intel hd 4000.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 12:08:54 PM

Intel HD is still nowhere near being taken seriously, it is fine for a office machine or basic home pc for the mum but beyond that, it is a bag of nuts. Compared to Llano it is hopelessly irrelevent, considering Llano is a year old and trinity is due it will again be made to look like a bag of nuts. Any kind of gaming would be better served on a dedicated graphics card as Intels IGP is rather non-existent.

(PS: Ran the F1 2011 benchmark at 16:9 and it barely made it past 10 FPS which is unplayable, on low settings it tops out at around 27 FPS)
m
0
l
a c 124 à CPUs
May 29, 2012 12:30:57 PM

sarinaide said:
Intel HD is still nowhere near being taken seriously

Graphics is only one of many roles the IGP can potentially play. For people who frequently transcode DVD/BD movies for iPad/iPhone/whatever, QuickSync on HD4000 is several times faster than software and GPGPU transcode while providing better quality. If games start leveraging OpenCL or other forms of heterogeneous computing such as running game physics on IGP instead of robbing bandwidth off the GPU with GPGPU or burning CPU cycles for improved response times and better power efficiency.

Graphics is only the tip of the iceberg, the obvious application. Things will get more exciting for IGPs combined with discrete GPU(s) if/when heterogeneous computing becomes more common.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 29, 2012 12:34:25 PM

InvalidError said:
Graphics is only one of many roles the IGP can potentially play. For people who frequently transcode DVD/BD movies for iPad/iPhone/whatever, QuickSync on HD4000 is several times faster than software and GPGPU transcode while providing better quality. If games start leveraging OpenCL or other forms of heterogeneous computing such as running game physics on IGP instead of robbing bandwidth off the GPU with GPGPU or burning CPU cycles for improved response times and better power efficiency.

Graphics is only the tip of the iceberg, the obvious application. Things will get more exciting for IGPs combined with discrete GPU(s) if/when heterogeneous computing becomes more common.


I don't deny that it has a versitile role, but apart from transcoding which is also software assisted Intels solution is rather archiac, when it comes to heterogeneous computing the AMD solutions are still ahead.
m
0
l
!