Oly C-8080 monitor strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

A friend just bought an Oly C-8080. Everything worked ok, but the
battery was not fully charged. As a result, the camera only ran for a
short time while we were trying it out.

We both have previous models of Oly digital cameras, and I have an ac
adapter (6.5V, 2.5A dc) which also meets the requirements of the 8080.
So, while the battery was charging in the Oly charger, we connected
the adapter to the 8080. Everything still works ok, but the monitor
never turns on. I know that in some camera models, the monitor timer
is disabled when the ac adapter is used, but that usually makes the
monitor stay on. We have the opposite problem.

A stranger thing is that the EVF still works fine. To my knowledge,
both the monitor and the EVF receive the same (or a similar)
electronic image of what the sensor sees.

I read the camera manual, the "real" one that is 250+ pages, but found
no mention of this phenomenon. Turning the camera's power switch off
and on did not help.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Bruce

Bruce Patis wrote:

> A friend just bought an Oly C-8080. Everything worked ok, but the
> battery was not fully charged. As a result, the camera only ran for a
> short time while we were trying it out.
>
> We both have previous models of Oly digital cameras, and I have an ac
> adapter (6.5V, 2.5A dc) which also meets the requirements of the 8080.
> So, while the battery was charging in the Oly charger, we connected
> the adapter to the 8080. Everything still works ok, but the monitor
> never turns on. I know that in some camera models, the monitor timer
> is disabled when the ac adapter is used, but that usually makes the
> monitor stay on. We have the opposite problem.
>
> A stranger thing is that the EVF still works fine. To my knowledge,
> both the monitor and the EVF receive the same (or a similar)
> electronic image of what the sensor sees.
>
> I read the camera manual, the "real" one that is 250+ pages, but found
> no mention of this phenomenon. Turning the camera's power switch off
> and on did not help.
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience?
>

> Bruce

Hi Bruce...

Don't have an 8080 - didn't win the lottery yet; maybe
next week :)

However, do have a c-700 (sort of, one of the grandkids)
and we've noticed that when the battery is reasonably
discharged the (don't know the proper name) rear panel
lcd display won't turn on while in picture taking mode.

Nor when the battery is on it's last legs will the
rear panel display turn on while looking at previously
taken pics.

The viewfinder lcd operates fine in both cases.

I wonder if it's somehow connected to the menu option
"battery saving mode" - on/off ?

Take care.

Ken

On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:21:47 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Bruce Patis wrote:
>
>> A friend just bought an Oly C-8080. Everything worked ok, but the
>> battery was not fully charged. As a result, the camera only ran for a
>> short time while we were trying it out.
>>
>> We both have previous models of Oly digital cameras, and I have an ac
>> adapter (6.5V, 2.5A dc) which also meets the requirements of the 8080.
>> So, while the battery was charging in the Oly charger, we connected
>> the adapter to the 8080. Everything still works ok, but the monitor
>> never turns on. I know that in some camera models, the monitor timer
>> is disabled when the ac adapter is used, but that usually makes the
>> monitor stay on. We have the opposite problem.
>>
>> A stranger thing is that the EVF still works fine. To my knowledge,
>> both the monitor and the EVF receive the same (or a similar)
>> electronic image of what the sensor sees.
>>
>> I read the camera manual, the "real" one that is 250+ pages, but found
>> no mention of this phenomenon. Turning the camera's power switch off
>> and on did not help.
>>
>> Has anyone had a similar experience?
>>

>> Bruce
>
>Hi Bruce...
>
>Don't have an 8080 - didn't win the lottery yet; maybe
>next week :)
>
>However, do have a c-700 (sort of, one of the grandkids)
>and we've noticed that when the battery is reasonably
>discharged the (don't know the proper name) rear panel
>lcd display won't turn on while in picture taking mode.
>
>Nor when the battery is on it's last legs will the
>rear panel display turn on while looking at previously
>taken pics.
>
>The viewfinder lcd operates fine in both cases.
>
>I wonder if it's somehow connected to the menu option
>"battery saving mode" - on/off ?
>
>Take care.
>
>Ken

Thanks, Ken. That was it! Turning off the battery saver option
solved the problem.

From the C-8080 battery discharge curves that Alfred Molon recorded,
http://www.molon.de/8080/blm1/ a voltage of 6.5V does not occur
until most of the battery's capacity has been used. So the computer
in the C-8080 probably thinks that the constant 6.5V from the ac
adapter is a battery which needs "saving".

BTW, things like that are good to know, because, while my friend
bought the camera, I plan to borrow it often.<g>

Bruce

Bruce Patis wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:21:47 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>

>>Bruce Patis wrote:
>>

>>>A friend just bought an Oly C-8080. Everything worked ok, but the
>>>battery was not fully charged. As a result, the camera only ran for a
>>>short time while we were trying it out.
>>>
>>>We both have previous models of Oly digital cameras, and I have an ac
>>>adapter (6.5V, 2.5A dc) which also meets the requirements of the 8080.
>>>So, while the battery was charging in the Oly charger, we connected
>>>the adapter to the 8080. Everything still works ok, but the monitor
>>>never turns on. I know that in some camera models, the monitor timer
>>>is disabled when the ac adapter is used, but that usually makes the
>>>monitor stay on. We have the opposite problem.
>>>
>>>A stranger thing is that the EVF still works fine. To my knowledge,
>>>both the monitor and the EVF receive the same (or a similar)
>>>electronic image of what the sensor sees.
>>>
>>>I read the camera manual, the "real" one that is 250+ pages, but found
>>>no mention of this phenomenon. Turning the camera's power switch off
>>>and on did not help.
>>>
>>>Has anyone had a similar experience?
>>>

>>>Bruce
>>
>>Hi Bruce...
>>
>>Don't have an 8080 - didn't win the lottery yet; maybe
>>next week :)
>>
>>However, do have a c-700 (sort of, one of the grandkids)
>>and we've noticed that when the battery is reasonably
>>discharged the (don't know the proper name) rear panel
>>lcd display won't turn on while in picture taking mode.
>>
>>Nor when the battery is on it's last legs will the
>>rear panel display turn on while looking at previously
>>taken pics.
>>
>>The viewfinder lcd operates fine in both cases.
>>
>>I wonder if it's somehow connected to the menu option
>>"battery saving mode" - on/off ?
>>
>>Take care.
>>
>>Ken
>

> Thanks, Ken. That was it! Turning off the battery saver option
> solved the problem.
>
> From the C-8080 battery discharge curves that Alfred Molon recorded,
> http://www.molon.de/8080/blm1/ a voltage of 6.5V does not occur
> until most of the battery's capacity has been used. So the computer
> in the C-8080 probably thinks that the constant 6.5V from the ac
> adapter is a battery which needs "saving".
>
> BTW, things like that are good to know, because, while my friend
> bought the camera, I plan to borrow it often.<g>
>

> Bruce

Hi,
Another case of not reading the manual in a rush, LOL.
Tony