Toshiba Cell Reference Motherboard

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

This isn't the PS3 Cell motherboard, it is a Cell reference motherboard
from Toshiba intended for other applications:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/20/cell_1.jpg

The article is kind of interesting because it is about the Cell
reference motherboard that Toshiba is going to make available to other
developers for different applications but they can't offer it until the
PS3 launches because of an agreement with Sony, so they are offering it
in April 2006. The article says the PS3 ships next March.

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Well, I thought it was interesting. :^)

It's almost like the ol' Motorola/Apple/IBM pact that generated the
PowerPC chips. Although IIRC the promise was that there would be
PowerPC based Windows machines as well as Macs and I don't remember
that ever really happening.

It would be cool if say Sony did a line of upper end VAIO machines
based on the cell technology.

- Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

In article <1127266452.571001.219720@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
blig_murk@yahoo.com says...

>This isn't the PS3 Cell motherboard, it is a Cell reference motherboard
>from Toshiba intended for other applications:
>
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/20/cell_1.jpg
>
>The article is kind of interesting

Thats right where you lost me Bliggety. That article is not interesting in
the least...even for a devoted Sony fanboy. Now a devoted anal Sony fanboy
might think its interesting.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <1127266452.571001.219720@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> blig_murk@yahoo.com says...
>>
>>This isn't the PS3 Cell motherboard, it is a Cell reference motherboard
>>from Toshiba intended for other applications:
>>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/20/cell_1.jpg
>>
>>The article is kind of interesting
>
> Thats right where you lost me Bliggety. That article is not interesting in
> the least...even for a devoted Sony fanboy.

....says the resident greasy dumb ass. :)

Quite interesting, but I have to wonder what the market is for such a
device? Are software developers going to bother supporting another
platform?