AT Command

Last response: in Technologies
March 8, 2005 2:42:06 PM

I don't know if this is a technical news group, but I'll ask my question
here.

I have a mobile phone and am after the AT command for retreiving the cell
site area that most phones are cabiable of displaying. Does anyone have an
idea? The nearest I have found is to retreive the current network operator,
I have looked through several mobile AT command set manuals...but I must not
be looking at or for the right thing.

Robert.

More about : command

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:42:07 PM

Robert Collard wrote:

> I have a mobile phone and am after the AT command for
> retreiving the cell site area that most phones are cabiable of
> displaying. Does anyone have an idea? The nearest I have
> found is to retreive the current network operator, I have
> looked through several mobile AT command set manuals...but I
> must not be looking at or for the right thing.

I presume you're talking about the cell geographical name that's
sent out on cell broadcast channel 50 (or maybe 200) by some
operators in some countries.

Does your phone support text-mode ("AT+CMGF=1") across the
serial interface? It's easier for you if it does, since you
won't need to decode PDU-mode responses.

A couple of GSM 07.05 commands are required: "AT+CMNI" and
"AT+CSCB". Then each new cell camped on will result in an
unsolicited "+CBM: " dump to the serial port, containing the
cell name.

The composite command

AT+CNMI=1,0,2,0,1;+CSCB=0,"50,200","0-15"

should work from most phones.

John
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:23:44 PM

Perfect thank you, I have been looking for that for a long time.

Thank you.

"John Henderson" <jhenRemoveThis@talk21.com> wrote in message
> Robert Collard wrote:
>
> > I have a mobile phone and am after the AT command for
> > retreiving the cell site area that most phones are cabiable of
> > displaying. Does anyone have an idea? The nearest I have
> > found is to retreive the current network operator, I have
> > looked through several mobile AT command set manuals...but I
> > must not be looking at or for the right thing.
>
> I presume you're talking about the cell geographical name that's
> sent out on cell broadcast channel 50 (or maybe 200) by some
> operators in some countries.
>
> Does your phone support text-mode ("AT+CMGF=1") across the
> serial interface? It's easier for you if it does, since you
> won't need to decode PDU-mode responses.
>
> A couple of GSM 07.05 commands are required: "AT+CMNI" and
> "AT+CSCB". Then each new cell camped on will result in an
> unsolicited "+CBM: " dump to the serial port, containing the
> cell name.
>
> The composite command
>
> AT+CNMI=1,0,2,0,1;+CSCB=0,"50,200","0-15"
>
> should work from most phones.
>
> John
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 4:23:45 PM

Robert Collard wrote:

> Perfect thank you, I have been looking for that for a long
> time.

Let me assure you, it took me a long time to work it out in the
first place :)

John
!