A question about desk computer cabinet space

firenutz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Should I use it? I can only use it if I keep the door open and the back of the desk is sealed. Can I put enough fans inside my pc to offset the heat?

Solution
Hi :)

I was called out to an old customer of mine once, who had just bought a sort of wardrobe to sit in their hall and totally contain their whole computer system...

It was cutting out from overheating in UNDER 5 minutes from cold...

When I got there and opened the twin doors, the pc tower was squeezed into a space at the bottom that was 1/4 of an inch bigger than the tower....thats 1/4 at the top and both sides and the back was totally blocked off...

I could do nothing apart from remove the tower and stand it beside the unit... and voila....NO overheating and NO cutting out...at all...

So yes you need ventilation and I dont mean fans etc inside the tower...I mean OUTSIDE THE TOWER...

Hope this helps...

All the best Brett :)
Hi :)

I was called out to an old customer of mine once, who had just bought a sort of wardrobe to sit in their hall and totally contain their whole computer system...

It was cutting out from overheating in UNDER 5 minutes from cold...

When I got there and opened the twin doors, the pc tower was squeezed into a space at the bottom that was 1/4 of an inch bigger than the tower....thats 1/4 at the top and both sides and the back was totally blocked off...

I could do nothing apart from remove the tower and stand it beside the unit... and voila....NO overheating and NO cutting out...at all...

So yes you need ventilation and I dont mean fans etc inside the tower...I mean OUTSIDE THE TOWER...

Hope this helps...

All the best Brett :)

Solution