Advice on htpc build.

Tags:
  • Build
  • AMD
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2012 11:58:11 AM

Hello,
I am looking to build a htpc and would like some opinions on the components I am (tentativele) planning to use.

Processor: AMD A8-3870K Black or AMD A8-3850
Motherboard: AMD F1A75-M or F1A75-M PRO
RAM: AMD Dual Channel 1333mhz AE34G1609U2
Hard drive: Used 7200rpm 60gb for system(optional ssd if I have money left over) + 2tb WD external for media.
Blu-Ray Drive: ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM #N82E16827135247 (or the same from LG)
Case: Undecided, most likely a silverstone htpc case with power supply and fans included.

This is my first build in many years, so, any help or guidance is appreciated.
Thanks.

More about : advice htpc build

February 9, 2012 2:39:23 PM

60GB hard drive... one that old must be IDE. Neither of those motherboards has an IDE port.

Go for 1600 RAM. It's the same price as 1333 these days and the Llano video loves the faster memory.

That's my 2¢.
m
l
a b À AMD
February 9, 2012 7:57:41 PM

You dont need 8 cores for an htpc, drop down to 4 core or an intel i3 dual core and put some of that money towards your ssd.

You dont have a remote listed, what are you planning on using?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 9, 2012 8:47:39 PM

A8 isn't an 8 core cpu. its a quad with a better graphics section than the A6. you don't need an SSD for an htpc, but a smaller hdd is fine for the os, as long as its sata.

And yes, go for the faster memory as it helps the gpu.

The K chip isn't really needed unless you want fan noise for overclocking it. I have my A8-3850 undervolted by 0.17v and the fan never speeds up. Plays full 1080p 3D just fine.
a b À AMD
February 9, 2012 10:15:24 PM

Depending on what you want to do with it but much cheaper a6 or a4 chips could be enough for an htpc. If you want to play games then the A8 3870k would be nice but get a nice cooler for it to keep it quiet.
m
l
February 10, 2012 7:14:02 PM

Thanks for the fast replies everyone! The only reason I was looking at the a8 (quad core) is because it has the AMD 6550 chipset (which I have heard) has fewer issues with screen shuddering. This might just be heresay, but, i's rather not take the chance.
As for the remote, I hope to be getting a case with an IR receiver/remote on it, otherwise I have an old ati remote with usb plug in rf receiver.
A new question though. After looking into the amd processors, both of the two that I have listed run 100w which I have heard runs hotter which implies fan runs more/faster. Considering I will most likely only be using this for blu-ray/streaming and as a tv tuner, does anyone see this as being an issue? What im using now is an (antique) pentium-D and it gets insanely loud about 25 minutes into a movie. If it will be an issue, AMD specs out the A8-3800 as being a 65w chipset.

Next, I forgot to list that I am looking at a Hauppauge dual tuner for general DVR capabilities. I am currently getting the basic channels from charter without a cable box. Im assuming the lack of box means that they are unencrypted and I could get them through a pci tuner card as well. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better/cheaper card?

Thanks again everyone.
m
l
a b À AMD
February 10, 2012 7:18:32 PM

the 65w parts should be plenty for your needs and even the 100w parts won't go super loud like your pentium D. The gpu use when playing video on these things is minimal and thus your cpu/gpu usage wouldn't be hitting anywhere near the 100w ceiling.
m
l
February 11, 2012 5:06:23 PM

I have the A4 with an Asrock A75 micro mobo and 4GB 1,333mhz kingston value ram. It runs a 40gb 1080p Avatar video file with absolutely no issue. I went in to BIOS and turned my fan down to lower than half speed and it runs 40C under load and is completely silent. The only thing I can hear on the computer is the hard drive clicking when it reads. You do not need anything higher than an A4 for an HTPC.
m
l
a b À AMD
February 11, 2012 9:47:08 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
a b À AMD
February 11, 2012 10:12:13 PM

My bad on the a8 being oct core, I had bulldog on the brain. LoL

If youre not gaming then any integrated video will do, even an old 4250 from a amd board.
m
l
a b À AMD
February 12, 2012 3:41:58 AM

Quote:
Next, I forgot to list that I am looking at a Hauppauge dual tuner for general DVR capabilities. I am currently getting the basic channels from charter without a cable box. Im assuming the lack of box means that they are unencrypted and I could get them through a pci tuner card as well. Does anyone have a suggestion for a better/cheaper card?

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 is pretty much the gold standard for unencrypted DVR in an HTPC, though I have had success with an older model AVerMedia TV Tuner Card.

-Wolf sends
m
l
February 17, 2012 4:46:09 PM

esrever said:
Depending on what you want to do with it but much cheaper a6 or a4 chips could be enough for an htpc. If you want to play games then the A8 3870k would be nice but get a nice cooler for it to keep it quiet.

With the a6 chipset, AMD uses a different ati video processor. From what I have read, it is a lower quality vpu. Wont that be noticeable when watching HD videos?
m
l
February 27, 2012 11:03:35 AM

Best answer selected by trixterjt.
m
l
!