New build - issue with unknown device???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazma0527

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I built a fantastic machine with the help of this community.. Firstly I'd like to say thanks for that.

Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum. Now on to the meat.

Parts are as follows:

Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
Core i5-2700k
8gb ram (2gbx4sticks)
Sapphire Radeon 7950 video card
3 - 24" Asus Monitors
Creative Labs X-Fi sound card
Mushkin 120gb SSD
Seagate 2tb 7200 rpm drive

Problem:
I have disabled the onboard audio through the bios - but for some god awful reason it keeps finding a "High Definition Audio Device" in the device manager - even with the new Creative card not installed! It keeps interferring with installing of any sound be it onboard or the X-fi - no sound works at all.. Installed all the drivers, updated drivers, uninstalled, and reattempted numerous times. I'm at my wits end and hope, that once again, this fine community will share their knowledge and experience to help a very frustrated user out..

***Update***

I've tested several things and come to find out, no matter what I try - NO audio is working. It sees both the Onboard audio, AND the Creative X-Fi card but neither will work. Please help, i'm very frustrated..

wasupmike

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
go to the control panel -> sound icon -> under the playback tab - check to see that the default audio device is selected (the one the speakers are connected to) - it's probably defaulting now to the built-in audio of the video card)

Shazma0527

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
All of your suggestions are greatly appreciated! Only problem was (i'll explain the was part) that in the control panel, the Sound option was there, but when I clicked it, nothing would come up.

After digging through archives of crap info on the internet, I found that one of the updates that microsoft pushes out, interferes with something on this motherboard. I ended up just having to format and reinstall windows and stop updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.