Sign in with
Your question

560TI SLI and PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 13, 2011 2:48:38 PM

Hi this is my first time posting on tomshardware and I'm not sure if im on the right forum, but heres the problem:

I'm looking to add another 560 TI to my current one, but my 700w PSU is limiting. I've done a lot of research on this topic, and some people say it'll work some say it won't. Many say that it can work with a GOOD 700w PSU, so I'll be a little specific about my system and hope some of you can tell me if mine is ok.

The PSU I have is about 3 to 4 years old. http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/computer-acc...
It's manufacturered by rocketfish, not a famous brand, but it worked fine in the past few years.

My spec:
Mobo: P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: i7-2700k @ 4.8ghz 1.38v
hard drive: 1TB 7200RPM
ram: 2x4gb 1600mhz corsair vengence

If this PSU won't support 2 560ti's, i'll have to add another 150 bucks or so to the cost, and I don't know if it's worth it tbh. What's your opinion?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

More about : 560ti sli psu

a c 272 U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 3:33:56 PM

If you were to run your CPU at the default speed it might be OK.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 4:05:16 PM

asurastrike said:

this PSU won't support 2 560ti's, i'll have to add another 150 bucks or so to the cost, and I don't know if it's worth it tbh. What's your opinion?

Correct it's only a 550 watt psu to begin with, 700w is it's Peak rating
Why another $150 ? There are plenty of options for less
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Up to you if it's worth it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 5:13:54 PM

With that overclock and 2 cards..I recommend getting 850W for around $100..anything with 70amps on the 12v rail. And if you want to be good for another 4-5 yrs then spend $130-$140 on 1000W PSU with 80-82amps on 12v rail..thats a sign of a good PSU...

Don't fall prey to those 80+ labels...its total fraud. Some good brands to consider are Corsair, coolermaster, PC power cooling, Kingwin LZ series,enermax, XFX, antec, OCZ, NZXT, and a few others...Newegg reviews are good for identifying cheap companies like coolmax, raidmax, xclio,etc.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 5:38:41 PM

dharmenparikh said:

Don't fall prey to those 80+ labels...its total fraud. Some good brands to consider are Corsair, coolermaster, PC power cooling, Kingwin LZ series,enermax, XFX, antec, OCZ, NZXT

Psst, most of the power supplies from those providers have 80+ labels, loosen the tin foil hat.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 5:46:59 PM

CoolerMaster and Kingwin - good brands? They both have an occasional "not bad" model, but, overall, good brands?
m
l
December 13, 2011 6:43:42 PM

thanks for the replies

Would it be a good idea to try the two cards on my PSU first and see if it runs? Is there a risk or is this a hit or miss where the computer won't boot if it fails?

Also how do you tell the quality of a PSU beside its brand?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2011 6:50:43 PM

You can try it, perhaps your PC boots, but as the cards start working, the system may experiment a power failure.

Your rig deserves a good PSU, as delluser1 suggested.
m
l
!