CPU Fan not working, no display to monitor?

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Alright so I just got this custom built computer from someone a couple weeks ago that was assembled in 2008 originally.

I've been using it perfectly fine the last couple weeks, like maxing graphics on all games and running every program smoothly and flawlessly.
I did however notice that the heat was being raised too much in one area of the computer, so I opened the computer case up and found this tiny little fan on this heatsink on the motherboard (not the cpu heatsink). So I pulled out this old fan I had from a past computer and replaced it. Computer worked fine, but I wasn't sure which worked better, having the fan pointed towards the heat sink, or away from it (There appears to be no true answer after some looking around, it depends on the tower most of the time). So I took the fan out and flipped it a couple times, and eventually found out which worked better.

So as I flipped it over and screwed it in the last time I said to myself "Alright, this is the last time, no more". I hooked it back up, plugged it in, and noticed that when I turned the computer on, the CPU fan wouldn't turn on anymore, and there is no display being sent to any monitor I try it on. I left it on for a couple of minutes one time just to see what would happen, and the computer tower made three beeps (one after another). Each beep lasted about a second.

Background:
When I used to plug in the PC, it would start up for about 2-3 seconds, and then shut back off, then allowing me to turn it back on again. NOW when I plug it in, it flicks on for a millisecond and then shuts back off, and when I try the power button, there's no display on the monitor, and the CPU fan isn't spinning anymore.

When I turn the computer on, EVERYTHING else turns on, lights, hard drives, gpu fans, other fans. I tested another fan by plugging it into the cpu_fan slot, and that one didn't turn on either.

I don't see what I could have possibly damaged here, all I did was put a fan on a heatsink on the motherboard. I didn't bump any wires or knock anything loose, and I double checked everything just incase.

So basically when the computer is turned on, everything turns on but the cpu fan and a signal sent to the display, and I get those 3 beeps after a minute or two.

Specs:
Intel® Desktop Board DQ965CO
Intel C2D E6420 (I was going to be replacing it with a E6700 soon)
Nvidia GeForce BFG 9800GT 1GB
650 Watt Antec Earthwatts Power Supply

Any idea what happened here?

EDIT: Noticed something else. The keboard (USB) lights do not turn on while the computer is on either, so nothing is apparently going through the USB anymore.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
PROBLEM (IS NOW NOT) RESOLVED.
I removed the cmos jumper earlier and forgot to replace it. @_@

Edit: The monitor turned on one time again and it was working, now it's back to doing the same thing as before. Everything turning on but the display and the CPU fan. No beeps this time.

LPBoy135

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hey man! I have the same problem My CPU fan randomly stopped spinning. I have an Nvidia GTX 550ti 1GB and the monitor is connected to it. Since the CPU fan stopped spinning, the monitor doesn't turn on but the rest of the PC definitely does turn on. I tried switching to the Motherboard display adapter and the monitor turned on ensuring that the monitor is fine but leaving doubts about the GPU. I'm a student and not exactly earning cash. I saved up for the Graphics card with great difficulty and bought it and now I'm worried about it. I was wondering if it was because of the CPU fan and hopefully it is. Mom isn't willing to help me out with buying a new GPU either so basically, I am hoping for a bit of help here and a sign that my GPU is safe.

LPBoy135

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Hey man! I have the same problem My CPU fan randomly stopped spinning. I have an Nvidia GTX 550ti 1GB and the monitor is connected to it. Since the CPU fan stopped spinning, the monitor doesn't turn on but the rest of the PC definitely does turn on. I tried switching to the Motherboard display adapter and the monitor turned on ensuring that the monitor is fine but leaving doubts about the GPU. I'm a student and not exactly earning cash. I saved up for the Graphics card with great difficulty and bought it and now I'm worried about it. I was wondering if it was because of the CPU fan and hopefully it is. Mom isn't willing to help me out with buying a new GPU either so basically, I am hoping for a bit of help here and a sign that my GPU is safe.

izayaorihara

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Forgot to say, But I fixed this problem by taking out all the memory and testing one stick at a time. There was a bad memory stick, and it was for some reason causing all of these problems.