Sign in with
Your question

Console Gamer looking to switch to PC for good

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2012 2:06:31 AM

I would like to build my first PC and gear it for gaming. I want to be able to run at least 60 FPS on ultra/high settings with 1080p resolution. Games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, and the games coming out over the next 3 or 4 years assuming games do not make major graphical breakthroughs.

I am looking at the following hardware but I am not set on any particular item. My max budget is $2,000 USD but I would like to use only half that if possible.

CPU
i5 2500k 3.3GHz (3.7GHz turbo boost)
was looking at i7 2600k and 2700k but heard not a noticeable difference than the i5 2500k
MOBO
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
not sure if it would be easy to overclock with this board and I am a beginner at overclocking
RAM
G.Skillz Ripjaws X series (2x4) 8GB (1600)
I was going to use Corsair Vengeance (4x4) 16GB (1600) but not sure if I would just be wasting money
GPU
EVGA GTX580 (Fermi) 1536MB
open to SLI/Crossfire not sure if I should mess with it considering I am a novice
PSU
Cool Master Silent Pro 850W
Not sure what Wattage I will need to power rig and possible overclocking
HDD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 G/B
definitely not set on any HDD all seem over priced and mixed reviews.
Optical Drive
Lite-On Black 18x DVD-ROM 48x CD-ROM SATA
was debating getting a bluray drive instead
Case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower w/upgraded USB 3.0
would like to get the case right first time around for future builds and upgrading interested in water cooling not sure if I will need it.

Total: 1,357.92 from Newegg.com
February 12, 2012 2:36:53 AM

We need a specific budget. The thing we're really good at here is maxing out a given budget. If you want that to be $1357.92, so be it. If you want it to be $1000 or if you'd be willing to go to $2000, tell us.

On this kind of budget, though, you'll be going either 7950 or 7970, assuming you want to build it now and don't feel like waiting a month or two to see what Kepler, Nvidia's next generation of cards, will be like. Those two cards are AMD's latest. The 7950 matches the 580 at a lower price, and the 7970 outdoes it by far.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2012 3:03:30 AM

8 GB of ram oughta do it for you

a msi 6950 pe/oc 2gb GPU can be unlocked to 6970 specs quite easily ( I did it 2x on my rig) and one of them is plenty of power for one monitor

GET A SSD!

GET A BDR drive... youll be sorry if you dont get blu-ray

your mb is nice and will OC easily.. the BIOS on those boards is quite nice
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:09:25 AM

autoordnance said:
8 GB of ram oughta do it for you

a msi 6950 pe/oc 2gb GPU can be unlocked to 6970 specs quite easily ( I did it 2x on my rig) and one of them is plenty of power for one monitor

GET A SSD!

GET A BDR drive... youll be sorry if you dont get blu-ray

your mb is nice and will OC easily.. the BIOS on those boards is quite nice

OP was looking at GTX 580 I recommend a 7950 so and an SSD will not add frame rates to his game neither will a blue ray.7950 will run almost any game @ 1080 on ultra full AA/AF @ 60fps solid an unlocked 6950 will not and OP was trying to get his build down to closer to or below $1000 some how an SSD and Blue ray is not helping things for his budget and intended uses me thinks.
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:17:15 AM

Gamer Dude said:
OP was looking at GTX 580 I recommend a 7950 so and an SSD will not add frame rates to his game neither will a blue ray.7950 will run almost any game @ 1080 on ultra full AA/AF @ 60fps solid an unlocked 6950 will not and OP was trying to get his build down to closer to or below $1000 some how an SSD and Blue ray is not helping things for his budget and intended uses me thinks.

he said he is willing to go as high as 2k if necessary.. IMO a Blu-Ray and an SSD are 100% necessary for any decent PC... also if hes used to console gaming a 6950/70 would greatly surpass the quality of a ps3 or xbox... for someone switching from console to PC (good move) I believe having a machine that performs all around is better than having great graphics but 45 second boot times and long waist loading... Dont get me wrong... grab a 7950 (or two) AND a BDR and 256gb Samsung830... if you can spend 2k, Im sure you can scrape up $500 more and go all out.
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:18:33 AM

ill be the devils advocate... methinks
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:30:52 AM

autoordnance said:
he said he is willing to go as high as 2k if necessary.. IMO a Blu-Ray and an SSD are 100% necessary for any decent PC... also if hes used to console gaming a 6950/70 would greatly surpass the quality of a ps3 or xbox... for someone switching from console to PC (good move) I believe having a machine that performs all around is better than having great graphics but 45 second boot times and long waist loading... Dont get me wrong... grab a 7950 (or two) AND a BDR and 256gb Samsung830... if you can spend 2k, Im sure you can scrape up $500 more and go all out.

Why would anyone pay for a BD player and Blu rays LOL what a terrible waste when the future is all digital and I was under the impression OP wanted a gaming rig how does an expensive blueray and low capacity SSD play games better. "My max budget is $2,000 USD - ((( but I would like to use only half that if possible." ))) why spend more for a lesser performing gaming rig when OP could have put the money of SSD and bluray into another GPU or better GPU example go from 7950 to 7970 if he only just drops the SSD
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:37:55 AM

an SSD has a major impact on the quality level of time spent on a computer... blu ray stores far more digital media than a dvd... and when you are in the digital future it would be nice to have a way to store the volumes of crap you can download from usenet... no?
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:42:44 AM

I definitely support an SSD on this kind of budget. A gaming PC should be a pleasure to use the rest of the time, too, from booting to homework, and SSDs really do make things nicer. I speak from recent experience.
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:44:41 AM

autoordnance said:
an SSD has a major impact on the quality level of time spent on a computer... blu ray stores far more digital media than a dvd... and when you are in the digital future it would be nice to have a way to store the volumes of crap you can download from usenet... no?

Its going all digital not disk media disk is going the way of the dodo bird even the next gen consoles will only have a HDD no DVD optical etc. Talk about slow you cant get slower than Bluray disk plus ssd is to pricy and low capacity when games are upwards of 10gb+ now in days and some games are 30gb+
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:47:14 AM

kajabla said:
I definitely support an SSD on this kind of budget. A gaming PC should be a pleasure to use the rest of the time, too, from booting to homework, and SSDs really do make things nicer. I speak from recent experience.

I run Raid 0 WD Black x3 and it is very fast I am more than impressed with the speed.
m
l
February 12, 2012 3:53:33 AM

consoles arent't PCs... I have to say that you are incorrect in suggesting no bdr drive... PCs will have optical drives for years to come and you might as well accept that. and I never said he should only use an SSD, but I did say "GET AN SSD" for a boot drive and storing the files/apps that you use frequently... If you build a new PC right now and skip out on an SSD when you are on a ample budget like this (up to 2k) I'd say you dropped the ball and are missing out... Id trade my 2x6970's for a single 6950 if it meant having an SSD vs. no SSD. And I digress...
m
l
February 12, 2012 4:01:34 AM

autoordnance said:
consoles arent't PCs... I have to say that you are incorrect in suggesting no bdr drive... PCs will have optical drives for years to come and you might as well accept that. and I never said he should only use an SSD, but I did say "GET AN SSD" for a boot drive and storing the files/apps that you use frequently... If you build a new PC right now and skip out on an SSD when you are on a ample budget like this (up to 2k) I'd say you dropped the ball and are missing out... Id trade my 2x6970's for a single 6950 if it meant having an SSD vs. no SSD. And I digress...

Well I have HDD RAID 0 its fast and I can wait 30sec for windows to boot to desktop LOL. Funny cause Disk is becoming obsolete like movie rental shops in exchange for services that are taking over such as NetFlick's, YouTube, Steam, Origins, and Apple App store etc that's why HDD capacity is more important than a menial 120gb SSD I want a 1TB drive not a measly 100GB. When SSD offers 500GB and 1TB options for a reasonable price then they are worth getting over the HDD standard.
m
l
February 12, 2012 4:05:48 AM

Gamer Dude said:
Well I dont have HDD RAID is fast and I can wait 30sec for windows to boot to desktop LOL. Funny cause Disk is becoming obsolete like movie rental shops in exchange for services that are taking over such as NetFlick's, YouTube, Steam, Origins, and Apple App store etc that's why HDD capacity is more important than a menial 120gb SSD I want a 1TB drive not a measly 100GB. When SSD offers 500GB and 1TB options for a reasonable price then they are worth getting over the HDD standard.

I'd say we successfully gave the original poster plenty to think about and two distinct different options/opinions... good talk.!
m
l
!