SMS SUBMIT PDUs stored in phone memory

I have some code that reads out incoming pdu's from sim and phone
memory to display msgs to user. I found a case where SMS SUBMIT pdus
were stored on the phone, where I normally read INCOMING data. Why
would an outbound PDU be stored on the phone?
3 answers Last reply
More about submit pdus stored phone memory

    roger@rogndeb.us wrote:

    > I have some code that reads out incoming pdu's from sim and
    > phone memory to display msgs to user. I found a case where SMS
    > SUBMIT pdus were stored on the phone, where I normally read
    > INCOMING data. Why would an outbound PDU be stored on the
    > phone?

    I take it they have the correct Message Type Indicator (part of
    the PDU-type octet).

    Unless you specify the message storage, the medium to be used is
    left to the manufacturer's discretion (GSM 07.05). If you've
    asked for a message to be stored on the SIM specifically and
    that's full, I think the manufacturer is required by that
    standard to use any other available storage.

    John

    > I take it they have the correct Message Type Indicator (part of
    > the PDU-type octet).
    >
    > Unless you specify the message storage, the medium to be used is
    > left to the manufacturer's discretion (GSM 07.05). If you've
    > asked for a message to be stored on the SIM specifically and
    > that's full, I think the manufacturer is required by that
    > standard to use any other available storage.
    >
    > John

    The Message Type of the pdu is SMS-SUBMIT. I found this on a phone used
    by a user, not by my software. But when the phone gets plugged in and
    ran on my software, I find SMS-SUBMIT PDUs on the phone's memory. My
    question is how do SMS-SUMITs end up on the phones memory.

    roger@rogndeb.us wrote:

    > The Message Type of the pdu is SMS-SUBMIT. I found this on a
    > phone used by a user, not by my software. But when the phone
    > gets plugged in and ran on my software, I find SMS-SUBMIT PDUs
    > on the phone's memory. My question is how do SMS-SUMITs end up
    > on the phones memory.

    Doesn't the user get asked whether they want sent messages
    saved? Maybe saving them is the default setting on some
    phones. As I mentioned earlier, the storage place (SIM or
    phone) will default at the manufacturer's whim.

    John

GSM Phones Memory