SMS SUBMIT PDUs stored in phone memory

Last response: in Technologies
Share
March 8, 2005 7:31:35 PM

I have some code that reads out incoming pdu's from sim and phone
memory to display msgs to user. I found a case where SMS SUBMIT pdus
were stored on the phone, where I normally read INCOMING data. Why
would an outbound PDU be stored on the phone?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 9, 2005 4:44:53 PM

roger@rogndeb.us wrote:

> I have some code that reads out incoming pdu's from sim and
> phone memory to display msgs to user. I found a case where SMS
> SUBMIT pdus were stored on the phone, where I normally read
> INCOMING data. Why would an outbound PDU be stored on the
> phone?

I take it they have the correct Message Type Indicator (part of
the PDU-type octet).

Unless you specify the message storage, the medium to be used is
left to the manufacturer's discretion (GSM 07.05). If you've
asked for a message to be stored on the SIM specifically and
that's full, I think the manufacturer is required by that
standard to use any other available storage.

John
March 9, 2005 5:44:12 PM

> I take it they have the correct Message Type Indicator (part of
> the PDU-type octet).
>
> Unless you specify the message storage, the medium to be used is
> left to the manufacturer's discretion (GSM 07.05). If you've
> asked for a message to be stored on the SIM specifically and
> that's full, I think the manufacturer is required by that
> standard to use any other available storage.
>
> John

The Message Type of the pdu is SMS-SUBMIT. I found this on a phone used
by a user, not by my software. But when the phone gets plugged in and
ran on my software, I find SMS-SUBMIT PDUs on the phone's memory. My
question is how do SMS-SUMITs end up on the phones memory.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 10, 2005 2:25:24 PM

roger@rogndeb.us wrote:

> The Message Type of the pdu is SMS-SUBMIT. I found this on a
> phone used by a user, not by my software. But when the phone
> gets plugged in and ran on my software, I find SMS-SUBMIT PDUs
> on the phone's memory. My question is how do SMS-SUMITs end up
> on the phones memory.

Doesn't the user get asked whether they want sent messages
saved? Maybe saving them is the default setting on some
phones. As I mentioned earlier, the storage place (SIM or
phone) will default at the manufacturer's whim.

John
!