Will not boot due to power problem, is it GPU or PSU?

Nameguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
It's very strange, I ordered my 560ti a few weeks ago, and I have enjoyed it very much... until now. :??:

Today, I turned on my computer and walked out of the room. It must have been less than 5 minutes before I returned to see my computer suddenly off, the power LED blinking endlessly. After an hour or four of fiddling around, I had narrowed it down to something weird.

One of the two 6-pin power connectors on my 560ti appears to be either broken or taking too much power for the PSU to handle. It is much more likely to be the former, because the box said it required at least 500W with a 12V of 30A, and my PSU is a 650W with a 12V of 38A. Is it possible that my PSU blew a capacitor somewhere in there? :ouch:

Antec Earthwatts 650W 80 Plus Bronze
Gigabyte 560ti 900MHz 1GB GDDR5

Should I return my 560ti to DirectCanada? Are there any other things I can check?

Nameguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Still doesn't work after using IDE>PCIe power adapters. I read on another forum that a blinking power LED meant something was taking too much power, so that just adds to the probability that it's the GPU. Should I try diagnosing the problem further, or should I just send it back now? Would dismantling the graphics card entail a voided warranty?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes that will probably void your warranty. You'd be wise to contact their technical support department for further advice.