Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Why am I lagging?

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2012 4:34:46 AM

I have a decent computer. When it comes to my rig I invest alot of money into it, and expect to see performance that shows it. I have frequent lags (mainly when I click something on the UI), on World of Warcraft. (It also happens on other games). I run 60fps ultra, lags happen on lower settings as well, all the time except for the times when my screen looks like somebody pressed pause. The lags last 2-8 seconds, and happen once or twice every 3-4 minutes. I will list my specs and I hope you guys can help!

AMD FX 8120 8-Core CPU overclocked @ 4Ghz
8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
Gigabyte 6950 2GB Graphics Card
Corsair Special Edition White Case
AMD 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
Corsair AX850 Power Supply
Corsair H100 Water Cooler

More about : lagging

a b B Homebuilt system
February 12, 2012 4:46:13 AM

I believe that your lag is more about your ISP than your system. You may need to upgrade to a faster Internet package to get rid of it.
Score
February 12, 2012 4:51:37 AM

Its has happened on many ISP's, from insight 30.0 to dsl :/  thanks for the response!
Score
Related resources
February 12, 2012 4:54:58 AM

Not sure about the other games but for WoW that's normal (at least for me). 50-60fps 80ms -> 2 to 20fps 250+ms (for 2 to 60 seconds random locations)-> 50-60fps 80ms. Has been that way for several systems / several connections and others are in the same boat. May be your connection but my 3Mbps DSL works fine 99%+ of the time and then lag spike and then fine.

haycraft9311 said:
I have a decent computer. When it comes to my rig I invest alot of money into it, and expect to see performance that shows it. I have frequent lags (mainly when I click something on the UI), on World of Warcraft. (It also happens on other games). I run 60fps ultra, lags happen on lower settings as well, all the time except for the times when my screen looks like somebody pressed pause. The lags last 2-8 seconds, and happen once or twice every 3-4 minutes. I will list my specs and I hope you guys can help!

AMD FX 8120 8-Core CPU overclocked @ 4Ghz
8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM
Gigabyte 6950 2GB Graphics Card
Corsair Special Edition White Case
AMD 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
Corsair AX850 Power Supply
Corsair H100 Water Cooler

Score

Best solution

February 12, 2012 5:04:46 AM

Could be the hard drive, what do you have? How is it connected?

It sounds like your computer is having trouble finding date quick enough. Perhaps googling tips to better utilise your hard drive by adjusting in either windows or bios. There could be a simple setting left unchecked that maybe causing your lag issue.

If not, try memtest and test your memory, just incase.
February 12, 2012 5:29:58 AM

Starting off with the obvious, are your video card drivers up to date? If so, is it WHQL certified? If not, maybe you should roll back to a previous, WHQL certified driver, and see if that does the trick.

Also, it could be the CPU/GPU. Is the fan on the graphics card functioning properly, and the CPU heat sink seated securely, as well as a "healthy" amount of thermal paste applied? Those behaviors are very similar to that of a system which can't properly dissipate heat from key hardwares, resulting in periodic intervals of freezing from overheating and using those freeze times to lighten the work load & cool that given component down.

I played WoW for about 3 years (on and off) and there were many occurrences of the same lag when I clicked on UI objects. I think this more comes down to how WoW manages add ons & how much data is being held in all those add ons. WoW is pretty clunky, especially with a crap load of add ons loaded. Try deleting your WTF folder and see if that does anything.

Your system wide lag could be from a combination of both overheating, and WoW sucking.

Waiting to hear back...

- calm
Score
February 12, 2012 5:38:31 AM

boju said:
Could be the hard drive, what do you have? How is it connected?

It sounds like your computer is having trouble finding date quick enough. Perhaps googling tips to better utilise your hard drive by adjusting in either windows or bios. There could be a simple setting left unchecked that maybe causing your lag issue.

If not, try memtest and test your memory, just incase.

I highly doubt it would be the hard drive, seeing as how there's nothing really that would indicate that. The drive is already active, so it's not like the lag happens due to it coming back from an idle state. And if the drive was corrupt/defective then the OP would also (most likely) be having issues with the OS and every other application that's run.

Question to OP: Does the lag occur with OFFLINE gameplay as well?
Score
February 12, 2012 11:27:43 AM

To first address the possibility of it being heat: The GPU runs at about 45C when I play most modern games, The CPU stays between 30C-40C.

It happens in both online and offline games.

The hard drive I am using is older to say the least. While its not IDE, I believe it was the first Sata.
Model:ST380817AS
Link to specs:
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4a713b0...

As far as memtest, last time I tested (a month or so ago) it came out clean. I will test it again of course :) .
Score
February 22, 2012 6:26:48 PM

Ran another memtest. Apparently I shut it down to soon last time ( or there was a power outtage), because I came out with 32k+ errors on test 10. Memory was bad, Thanks for all the help!
Score
February 22, 2012 6:28:03 PM

Best answer selected by haycraft9311.
Score
February 22, 2012 10:18:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!