Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Catalyst control centre wont open!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 13, 2011 4:50:52 PM

Catalyst control centre isnt opening for me for some reason. It was like this just after I had installed my new hd 5570 from a hd 4650. I have tried everything, but still no luck, it doesnt even pop up under the processes tab in taskmanager.
What do I do?

PC SPECS
CPU: Intel core i3 2100
GPU: XFX Radeon hd 5570
Mobo: Asus P8P67
Ram: Corsair XMS3 8gb (4 x 2gb)
December 13, 2011 5:02:40 PM

when you change cards, you need to reinstall the driver. first uninstall catalyst, it will make you restart. then install the newest driver.
Score
0
December 13, 2011 5:21:53 PM

Had similar experience going from 4890 to 5870. I had to uninstall from windows programs management screen. Download a driver cleaner, use the driver cleaner while in safe mode. Then restart and install new drivers. If there is any trace of the old driver the CCC will not run. Drove me nuts for a couple of days. Driver Sweeper is the program I downloaded and ran - worked perfectly - and it's Free!!

Good Luck
Score
0
Related resources
December 15, 2011 11:18:21 AM

farrengottu said:
when you change cards, you need to reinstall the driver. first uninstall catalyst, it will make you restart. then install the newest driver.


tried that, doesnt work
Score
0
December 15, 2011 11:24:22 AM

medmn said:
Had similar experience going from 4890 to 5870. I had to uninstall from windows programs management screen. Download a driver cleaner, use the driver cleaner while in safe mode. Then restart and install new drivers. If there is any trace of the old driver the CCC will not run. Drove me nuts for a couple of days. Driver Sweeper is the program I downloaded and ran - worked perfectly - and it's Free!!

Good Luck


can you send me a link to the driver sweeper please
Score
0
December 15, 2011 11:48:29 AM

Btw medmn i tried wat u suggested and it still doesnt work. man this is driving me crazy
Score
0
December 15, 2011 11:56:19 AM

try install an olderr driver. somehow my hd 5770 doesnt work with driver newer than 10.3
Score
0
December 16, 2011 9:10:57 PM

askara said:
try install an olderr driver. somehow my hd 5770 doesnt work with driver newer than 10.3


ok ill give that a try
Score
0
January 10, 2012 10:10:14 PM

I'm also having a similar problem except this problem occurred after I updated to the 12.1 catalyst. My reason for trying 12.1 was the improved crossfire performance which I noticed in Crysis 2, but not in Skyrim. After removing 12.1 the conventional way,(add/remove programs) I also used the drive cleaner program. After going back to the latest Catalyst which was released in early December, I still can't open it.
Score
0
January 11, 2012 2:25:30 AM

One of my reasons for trying to open the catalyst software again was to disable crossfire so Skyrim would be playable. Seriously, does anyone know of way to fix this!? ATI's customer service is pretty worthless.
Score
0
January 11, 2012 3:20:43 PM

twl cleaner will help remove all the remaining vga files left on the computer after a driver uninstall so steps are
1 download and extract twl cleaner
2 goto control panel choose program and features then uninstall all ati amd driver
3 reboot but do not let windows turn on instead press f8 multiple time to enter safe mode.
4 run the twl cleaner batch file while in safe mode and follow all prompts.
5 while still in safe mode goto my computer and right click and choose manage
6.left click device manager and left click display adapters
6.5 if you donot see display adapters just right click and choose scan for hard ware changes.
7.choose update driver software to install standard vga adapter it will be automatic
NOTE: IF YOU donot have a standard vga adapter showing before you leave safe mode the system will hang on the windows boot and you will have to go back into safe mode to make the standard vga adapter show in the device manager.

8 reboot into nomal windows

sometimes there are still amd or ati file listed in appdata folder sections. to get to them
open my computer
left click in the top address bar of the my computer window to highlite the Computer word and change it to c:\ bye typing c:\ then type Users\ then your computer name\then appdata\
it will look like c:\Users\nameofmycomputer\appdata\

inside of the appdata folder you will see 3 folders local-local low-and roaming browse through each folder removing the amd or ati files related to you graphics card

Now system is clean and you can install you driver by usual method
Score
0
January 11, 2012 8:00:20 PM

Thank you so much for the info!
Score
0
January 11, 2012 8:55:15 PM

i had this problem
In Windows 7, you can browse directly to "C:\Windows\assembly". Sort by "Public Key Token", then delete everything with the Token "90ba9c70f846762e" (ATI's key). You'll obviously need Administrator privileges. No reboot needed either. Reinstalled CCC and it ran perfectly!

The GAC lets you share DLL's that are the same version number. If it's in the GAC, any installer will NOT install a new DLL - it'll use the one in the GAC. If the GAC DLL is corrupted, you're majorly SOL.

When I reinstalled the CCC, it took longer to install then it had before. Presumably, this was due to the installer copying all the correct DLL's to my hard drive. And no ATI DLL's have made it back into my GAC.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 5:41:43 PM

Ok, so after removing the catalyst manager again I went to the assembly folder to delete the other ATI files labeled as 90ba9c70f846762e. It won't let me delete any of these files. I'm the Administrator on this computer(obviously) and it's still saying access is denied.
Score
0
January 12, 2012 5:59:41 PM

after uninstalling the drivers, and after removing the catalyst manager which should have been an automatic part of uninstalling from programs and features.
you would have gone into safe mode by rebooting and using f8 and then running the twl cleaner batch file and followed all prompts, then you would have went into device manager to make the system detect a standard vga.

After that you would have rebooted into windows and went into

c:\Users\What ever your computer name is\appdata\Local
c:\Users\what ever your computer name is\Appdata\Roaming
c:\users\what ever your computer name is\appdata\LocalLow

you cannot browse to the 3 folders you must open up the my computer and type the paths in the address bar of the my computer window



inside of those folder you would only delete ati amd files related to your card. if you see a file and your not sure what it is dont delete it only files related to the card.

also when running the twl cleaner it will allow you to remove registry entries but you donot want to remove all of them only the ones that the program opened in note pad as registry files are essential to the stability of your machine and deleting the wrong ones can really screw things up, and i say this because a registry file is not a left over file, but ifwas listed in note pad by the twl cleaner then that file can only be deleted by accessing the registry
the program usually opens the registy for you if files needed to be manually deleted
if you need to manually access the registry

hold down the windows button on your keyboard and press R
this will bring up the run command box, then you would type regedit

once your are in the registry only delete a file that was listed in note pad by the program, please donot delete anything other than those files as you can mess your machine up when altering registry files
Score
0
April 12, 2012 8:46:13 PM

pso_20 said:
Ok, so after removing the catalyst manager again I went to the assembly folder to delete the other ATI files labeled as 90ba9c70f846762e. It won't let me delete any of these files. I'm the Administrator on this computer(obviously) and it's still saying access is denied.


same here, tried that couldent remove the files :cry: 
Score
0
April 13, 2012 12:49:03 AM

I had to go into both x86Program Files and Program Files and delete all AMD/ATI files after deinstallation of Catalyst. Reboot/reinstall and it started working again.

I think Catalyst has an issue because I see this a lot.
Score
0
April 13, 2012 3:09:13 PM

z06psi said:
I had to go into both x86Program Files and Program Files and delete all AMD/ATI files after deinstallation of Catalyst. Reboot/reinstall and it started working again.

I think Catalyst has an issue because I see this a lot.



The issue is end users are not uninstalling old drivers properly.

1. Download the latest AMD/ATI video driver for your system.
2. Run the installer and select UNINSTALL.
3. Choose Custom and select ALL to uninstall.
4. Reboot PC into Safe Mode.
5. Run Driver Sweeper and select AMD/ATI Drivers and clean them all.
6. Go to Device Manager, open Display Adapters and select the adapter, right click and Uninstall. Make sure you check the box to "Remove all software for this device".
7. Click the Scan for Hardware Changes button in Device manager and it should detect the Video adapter and install it as a Standard VGA Adapter.
8. Reboot into normal mode.
9. Install latest AMD/ATI Video drivers.
Score
0
April 13, 2012 5:30:23 PM

Quote:
The issue is end users are not uninstalling old drivers properly.

1. Download the latest AMD/ATI video driver for your system.
2. Run the installer and select UNINSTALL.
3. Choose Custom and select ALL to uninstall.
4. Reboot PC into Safe Mode.
5. Run Driver Sweeper and select AMD/ATI Drivers and clean them all.
6. Go to Device Manager, open Display Adapters and select the adapter, right click and Uninstall. Make sure you check the box to "Remove all software for this device".
7. Click the Scan for Hardware Changes button in Device manager and it should detect the Video adapter and install it as a Standard VGA Adapter.
8. Reboot into normal mode.
9. Install latest AMD/ATI Video drivers.

never thought of going into device manager and removing it from there, only sweeped all the drivers then try to install the drivers agn so ill giv that a try
Score
0
!